Crown Point water tanks

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Chip Down

Crown Point water tanks

Post by Chip Down » April 14th, 2016, 5:12 pm

These are right next to the highway, just west of Crown Point. Most of us have driven by, but with limited parking opportunities, and so much to do in the gorge, it's easy to bypass.

Haven't found much info online. It appears they were fed from a spring at Rooster Rock, and used to supply Vista House and other buildings that no longer stand. Considering the cost of installing/operating/maintaining the pipe and pump, it seems like a gravity-fed aqueduct from a nearby creek would have been better, but there may have been conflicting property/water rights.
Attachments
WaterExt.jpg
As seen from roadway.
WaterPipe.jpg
Penetrates tank near top, so I assume it's the fill pipe bringing water up from Rooster Rock.
WaterHatch.jpg
I guess it's an access hatch.
WaterWindow.jpg
Each tank has at least a couple of these windows. Probably overflow ports. Big enough to reach in with phone and get some pics. Just don't drop your phone!
WaterInterior1.jpg
Note the markings on wall. Some writing in other places too. I couldn't make any of it out.
WaterInterior2.jpg

Limey

Re: Crown Point water tanks

Post by Limey » April 14th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Apparently people have been in there, maybe to party? Noticed the beer bottle in the first inside picture. Not a place that I would feel compelled to go. I'd be afraid someone would put something over the access hatch and trap me inside :shock:

Chip Down

Re: Crown Point water tanks

Post by Chip Down » April 14th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Good eye. I too noticed the beer bottle, but assumed it was tossed in through the same port I used to grab the pics. Remember, the probability of a beer bottle breaking is directly related to the hardship it will cause. Hence, an expensive bottle will be the first to break, and a bottle in your pack is more likely to break than a bottle in your grocery bag. That's why an empty bottle of bud light can be tossed onto concrete without fear of breakage.