Anyone here ever seen a Brocken Spectre?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
viking

Re: Anyone here ever seen a Brocken Spectre?

Post by viking » December 19th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Twice this past summer while wet canyoneering in our home area half way down a waterfall rappel a 6' perfect rainbow circle appeared directly in front of me. Totally cool, no shadow like the Broken Spectre but in all likelihood the same phenomenon. The face of the rock/waterfall plane perpendicular to the low sun rays coming in from behind, enough water splash but not too heavy of a flow. Math, physics, hydrology, sorcery something like that. Truly magnificent.
If anyone is interested in Go Funding me for a waterproof camera and a small research stipend I would be more than interested in going forth and studying backcountry mid waterfall perfect rainbow circles and their coolness. Contact me. Thanks in advance. Viking.

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » January 14th, 2016, 9:26 am

viking wrote:Twice this past summer while wet canyoneering in our home area half way down a waterfall rappel a 6' perfect rainbow circle appeared directly in front of me. Totally cool, no shadow like the Broken Spectre but in all likelihood the same phenomenon. The face of the rock/waterfall plane perpendicular to the low sun rays coming in from behind, enough water splash but not too heavy of a flow. Math, physics, hydrology, sorcery something like that. Truly magnificent.
If anyone is interested in Go Funding me for a waterproof camera and a small research stipend I would be more than interested in going forth and studying backcountry mid waterfall perfect rainbow circles and their coolness. Contact me. Thanks in advance. Viking.
I just saw this circular rainbow (though not the extended shadow) while flying back from Costa Rica yesterday (trip report forthcoming, by the way). I tried getting a picture but it didn't show up on my phone camera, unfortunately. Weird to experience this after only learning of the phenomenon from this thread. Like a learning a new word and then hearing shortly afterward.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » February 12th, 2016, 8:28 am

Yes! These are from the saddle at Hamilton Jan 2015.

ImageAndrea's rainbow glory

Fainter, but here they are starting to form.
Image6

There were rainbows everywhere that day, even at the falls on the way down.
Woodswalker

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » February 12th, 2016, 12:26 pm

woodswalker wrote:Yes! These are from the saddle at Hamilton Jan 2015.

ImageAndrea's rainbow glory
Really nice! This has me motivated to take a hike on one of those cloudy/sunny days.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » February 12th, 2016, 12:59 pm

It definitely has it's attractions in the mist.
Woodswalker