Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
forestkeeper

Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Post by forestkeeper » December 10th, 2015, 8:09 am

I was just curious, although both sites seemed to be related, which one is better? On OregonHikers.org, I barely get replies on posts, if ANY at all. On Facebook's Oregon Hiking, I nearly always get a reply and/or "Like." With Oregon Hiking (Facebook), there seems to be so much more participation and imput. Is it time for OregonHikers.org to hang up its hat? ;)

Limey

Re: Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Post by Limey » December 10th, 2015, 8:22 am

I have noticed that since the change to the new name there doesn't seem to be as much activity on here as there used to be. Seems there is a longer time span between new posts. I'm not on Facebook so I can't speak to the participation and activity on that site. No, Oregon Hikers should not hang up it's hat, I hike vicariously through this site when I can't get out there myself.

CampinCarl

Post by CampinCarl » December 10th, 2015, 8:30 am

I like forums better for topical things like hiking because it is so much easier to search for specific keywords, threads, etc. I don't comment on either Facebook or here very frequently but like this site much better to get my hiking fix from :D

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » December 10th, 2015, 8:46 am

Facebook is fine for getting likes but it stinks for research and data organization.

Guy

Post by Guy » December 10th, 2015, 8:58 am

Both serve a purpose I think,

Facebook is good if you just want to share a few pics or pass on some quick trail beta like a washout or something that you want people to see quickly.

This site is better for actual trip reports and sharing data that you want to be around for future use & reference.

Facebook will certainly give you more immediate response but nobody will ever see what you posted after after a week at best!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 10th, 2015, 9:22 am

I think you mean the portlandhikers facebook page :)

Yeah, interesting that it has more posts

One difference is the field guide on oregonhikers.org. Facebook is not really conducive to that type of information?

Karl will be happy :lol:

kaltbluter

Post by kaltbluter » December 10th, 2015, 9:28 am

forestkeeper wrote:On OregonHikers.org, I barely get replies on posts, if ANY at all.
Btw, you just had five different people reply to your post within a couple hours.

Koda

Post by Koda » December 10th, 2015, 9:30 am

question, is the oregon hiking facebook page affiliated with oregonhikers.org?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » December 10th, 2015, 10:46 am

The Facebook phenomenon will likely fade after some time. I've recently exited it for the most part except for the OH Facebook page. The OH Facebook page is one of the reasons I'm still on there, the other being group pages I manage.

Everyone has a limited amount of time the can dedicate to being on different sites and right now Facebook has grabbed most people's time and it's a one stop shopping experience. There's a place for both, but I would never do anything to this forum due to the fickle nature of people's browsing habits.

OH also isn't using all of your posts, photos, comments, and likes to amass a large database on you that can be sold to the highest and lowest bidder and everyone in between.

EDIT: I've also watched/managed/caused/helped a whole large group close it's Facebook presence because it grew too large and was causing problems in our real world get togethers. I don't think the OH Facebook page there has any detrimental effects on Oregon hikers, but there is currently a good discussion on how the internet can affect places like Munra point.
- Michael

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » December 10th, 2015, 11:11 am

retired jerry wrote:I think you mean the portlandhikers facebook page :)
:lol:
kaltbluter wrote:
forestkeeper wrote:On OregonHikers.org, I barely get replies on posts, if ANY at all.
Btw, you just had five different people reply to your post within a couple hours.
:lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased