Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
kepPNW

Re: Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Post by kepPNW » December 13th, 2015, 7:44 pm

forestkeeper wrote:
justpeachy wrote:
BurnsideBob wrote:So wouldn't it be cool if Oregon Hikers had a dual post option--click the right button and you post to both Oregon Hikers and to the Facebook page. And even cooler if feedback on both venues was cross posted automatically. That would help bring new folks to Oregon Hikers and get attention junkies a little love.
Those two Facebook groups were created by regular ol' people. ;)
Karl Peterson is regular??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Like Karl would say, "Ha!"
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 17th, 2015, 7:53 am

I use Facebook regularly, and I think the functional differences and caveats are pretty well described in this thread. But I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out yet, but the difference is pretty fundamental: Facebook is a commercial enterprise whose sole purpose is to collect consumer data from its users that can be used to sell advertising. This forum is non-profit, with the purpose of promoting hiking and trails.

So long as Facebook continues to sell ads, it will exist in some form -- but at some point, it will likely follow MySpace and AOL as tastes and technology inevitably change, and profits decline. This forum will also have to evolve, too, but only in a way that best promotes hiking and trails -- and through decisions made by volunteers in our non-profit, not shareholders or a CEO.

Just my two cents... and nope, no "like" button in our future... Facebook is doing just fine with that!

Tom ;-)

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » December 17th, 2015, 8:27 am

BurnsideBob wrote:So wouldn't it be cool if Oregon Hikers had a dual post option--click the right button and you post to both Oregon Hikers and to the Facebook page. And even cooler if feedback on both venues was cross posted automatically. That would help bring new folks to Oregon Hikers and get attention junkies a little love.
I've seen people on the Portland Hikers FB page post a few of their best pics from a hike and include a link to their OH.org trip report. You'll get the likes on FB and provide the details in a TR on OH.org that would be out of place/to lengthy for FB. That doesn't solve the cross posting of comments, but it's probably the closest you will get.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 17th, 2015, 10:18 am

Splintercat wrote:Facebook is a commercial enterprise
Pretty sure there's research showing that hikers, as a group, are better educated than the average. (Almost have to be, to afford the time, gear, and gas needed to pursue the hobby!) At any rate, it's hard to imagine anyone here not having that "pretty fundamental" distinction firmly within their grasp. ;-)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Aimless

Post by Aimless » December 17th, 2015, 6:47 pm

hikers as a group, are better educated than the average

But, if I recall correctly, consulting the average of hikers as a group (according to my super-charged education) is unrevealing about the education or knowledge of any particular hiker, so it is entirely possible that some of us above average hikers benefited from Splintercat's reminder about the fundamental differences between OregonHikers.org and Facebook.com. ;)

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » December 17th, 2015, 8:00 pm

BurnsideBob wrote: But I get the need for positive feedback when you post a trip report. I always feel let down when I post a trip report to some odd place, like Dinah-mo Peak (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19823), and there is little response.
Well, let me be the first to thank you for that report. I've seen that very unique peak and always wondered what it was like. Your trip report was AWESOME!!! I never posted - just lurked and enjoyed it. My apologies.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 17th, 2015, 8:21 pm

But I get the need for positive feedback when you post a trip report. I always feel let down when I post a trip report to some odd place, like Dinah-mo Peak, and there is little response.
Well, that's a good reminder to everyone to take a moment and post a reply if you've read through a trip report -- but on the other hand, any given report gets dozens of views, so that's sort of the equivalent to the majority of the population not registering to vote, but being quite disappointed if those of us who do vote don't elect the right person..! ;-)

I personally find Facebook posts sad when there isn't even a "like"... especially when the next post of a cute kitty has 486 "likes". And then there are the endless, predictable memes... :roll:

Facebook is fine if you're in the mood for a couple Twinkies or bag of Fritos with your diet Coke. But if you're looking for a plank-grilled, peppered Chinook salmon steak with wild rice with grilled chanterelles on the side... and basket of still-warm sourdough bread with fresh butter... and perhaps some blackberry cobbler for dessert..? Well, better to come here and settle in for a more filling meal..!

Tom :D

RobinB

Post by RobinB » December 21st, 2015, 1:32 am

On the feedback issue: when I worry about it on here - which is more often than it should be, but less often than it could be - I look at the views for a post rather than the comments. I'm stoked if people read the stuff I write and see the pictures I take, even if they don't feel like saying anything about it. And for my part, I can say pretty confidently that I've read and enjoyed nearly every trip report posted here over the last couple years, even if I haven't always commented. In fact, I haven't commented on some of my favorite posts, because I didn't really have anything to add, or because they were from a while back.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » December 21st, 2015, 6:44 am

RobinB wrote:On the feedback issue: when I worry about it on here - which is more often than it should be, but less often than it could be - I look at the views for a post rather than the comments.
You make a good point. I've often noticed/pondered that many of the reports that get the most replies either (1) say something controversial or (2) come from one of the more "talkative" forum members, who have a knack for generating buzz whether they post a beautiful report or just mention their weekend honey-do plans. Views aren't a perfect indicator either, because they don't show how thoroughly people viewed a report, but they at least let you know you're not being ignored or boycotted or anything. :)

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 21st, 2015, 7:37 pm

texasbb wrote:
RobinB wrote:On the feedback issue: when I worry about it on here - which is more often than it should be, but less often than it could be - I look at the views for a post rather than the comments.
...Views aren't a perfect indicator either, because they don't show how thoroughly people viewed a report, but they at least let you know you're not being ignored or boycotted or anything. :)
Exactly! A few times in the past, I'd post something that I thought was important (obviously only to me :? ) but not get too many views, or any at all, so I would begin to think that I'm either disliked or no one cares. Whereas on Facebook, especially on the Pacific NW Waterfalls group, I can post recent waterfall pics and get a lot of "likes" and comments. That is why I posted this thread. True, OregonHikers is like eating steak while Facebook is hamburger, but it seems at least on Facebook you get noticed while on OregonHikers you may be ignored. So maybe hamburger is better...... ;)