Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Splintercat

Re: Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Post by Splintercat » December 23rd, 2015, 8:47 am

Just have both, Will! When you post here, take advantage of the legacy function (e.g., be sure to link to the Field Guide when you can, upload you photos or host somewhere that won't go away), and your report will be viewed for years. On FB, enjoy the social reaction to a few photos or a link to TR here, but know they'll be mostly forgotten in a few hours or days (e.g., my junk food analogy). I see the two as complementary.

BTW - if I haven't said it already, nice to meet you in person at the Meet n Deet last week!

Tom :)

Martell

Post by Martell » December 28th, 2015, 12:56 pm

Just out of curiosity, I checked and traffic was actually up in Nov 2015 vs Nov 2014 (and in general for the year) for both the forum and field guide, however this is always the slowest time of year.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 29th, 2015, 6:59 am

Martell wrote:Just out of curiosity, I checked and traffic was actually up in Nov 2015 vs Nov 2014 (and in general for the year) for both the forum and field guide, however this is always the slowest time of year.
Page views, posts, both, ...? Seems like posts (trip reports, in particular) are down overall, even in the nicer months. Makes sense that page views might be going up. I watched the Washington Hikers and Climbers group on Facebook go from ~1500 to >15,000 members in the same time period. Seems that the number of new Trip Reports would be one of the finer gauges of long-term [community] health, since that's what's feeding the future views.
Last edited by kepPNW on December 29th, 2015, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Aimless

Post by Aimless » December 29th, 2015, 10:24 am

Trip Reports may be the main driver for repeat visits to the Forums, but I suspect the Field Guide is where the majority of page views are happening.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 29th, 2015, 11:52 am

Aimless wrote:Trip Reports may be the main driver for repeat visits to the Forums, but I suspect the Field Guide is where the majority of page views are happening.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. And those would happen with or without much of a community here. In fact, Tom could probably tear the forums entirely apart, and the Field Guide would live merrily on.
Karl

Aimless

Post by Aimless » December 29th, 2015, 12:03 pm

I'm pretty sure Tom would never tear down the Forum sectionof OH.org for the simple and obvious reason that building a strong community of local hiking enthusiasts is a major goal of TKO. You, of course, may disagree with how they choose to go about it, but I think they really do operate with that outcome in mind.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 29th, 2015, 12:15 pm

I have few doubts that's a commonly shared view of many who are still here.
Karl

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 30th, 2015, 2:47 pm

I'm pretty sure Tom would never tear down the Forum section of OH.org for the simple and obvious reason that building a strong community of local hiking enthusiasts is a major goal of TKO.
Perfectly stated, Aimless! Thanks.

Tom :-)

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » December 30th, 2015, 11:09 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Aimless wrote:Trip Reports may be the main driver for repeat visits to the Forums, but I suspect the Field Guide is where the majority of page views are happening.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. And those would happen with or without much of a community here. In fact, Tom could probably tear the forums entirely apart, and the Field Guide would live merrily on.
I would hope not. I rarely look at the Field Guide. Even though I rarely log in, I lurk on General Hiking Topics and Trip Reports...and Trail Q&A... and Campsite Banter... and well, you get the idea!

Granola22

Post by Granola22 » January 12th, 2016, 11:00 am

I started out hiking by following your field guides!
I am a major Facebooker as well and post in a bigger group called Hiking in the Pacific Northwest (16K members) (anyone else in there??)
Every trip report I post on there I include a link to the trails field guide so you could call me a secret ambassador for the site, I don't mind :D

Also, here's a tip

Do you see where the Joined, Add Members, Search, and Info are?
Click on that search button and you can find what you're looking for in that group
Not sure if it looks different on a desktop computer, but you get the idea.