Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
justpeachy

Re: Oregon Hiking (Facebook) versus Oregon Hikers. org

Post by justpeachy » December 12th, 2015, 7:22 am

A huge factor in deciding where I want to focus my time is that you can't easily post detailed trip reports on the facebook page. You can post a bunch of pictures with detailed captions, but that's not the same thing. I think some people prefer that method since it's easier and faster, but the posts fall into oblivion after a few days, so it's really better for sharing timely information and not for sharing information that people may want to refer back to a year or two from now. When it comes to doing research and finding past posts, the OH site wins hands-down. Also, as Brad mentioned, not everyone is on facebook.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 12th, 2015, 8:47 am

You can see trip reports here going back years

You could research possible hikes people have done at the same time of the year

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 12th, 2015, 10:31 am

forestkeeper wrote:On OregonHikers.org, I barely get replies on posts, if ANY at all. On Facebook's Oregon Hiking, I nearly always get a reply and/or "Like."
Don't read too much into the the lack of replies on the OH website. Very likely people found the content useful or interesting and just didn't take the time to post a reply. Frankly, one downside of facebook (and this happens not just the Portland Hikers group) is the rash of "awesome" and "thanks" and "cool!" replies, which just clutter up the screen, IMHO. But if your goal in posting stuff is just to get as many replies as possible, then facebook is definitely where you should go. :D

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 13th, 2015, 8:01 am

justpeachy wrote:But if your goal in posting stuff is just to get as many replies as possible, then facebook is definitely where you should go. :D
Probably meant tongue-in-cheek, but reads a bit derogatory...?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 13th, 2015, 8:23 am

kepPNW wrote:
justpeachy wrote:But if your goal in posting stuff is just to get as many replies as possible, then facebook is definitely where you should go. :D
No disrespect intended, just a little teasing. ;)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 13th, 2015, 8:25 am

justpeachy wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
No disrespect intended, just a little teasing. ;)
Fair 'nuf. 8-)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Aimless

Post by Aimless » December 13th, 2015, 11:44 am

I can't comment intelligently on the Facebook group, since I'm a Facebook refusenik, but I use OH.org as a resource for acquiring the kind of firsthand eyewitness information about trails that I cannot get anywhere else, and for discussing issues that concern those of us who care about the forests, rivers, and mountains of the PNW. For me OH.org isn't a coffee klatch for chatting sociably with other hikers, although I see no harm in using it that way; that's just not who I am.

For me, it doesn't matter if I get a couple dozen brief replies to my infrequent trail reports. I post them as a kind of repayment for all the valuable info I get here, in the hopes that they'll prove valuable to someone else some time. That's why I've concentrated on reporting about trails a bit further afield that get little coverage otherwise.

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » December 13th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Aimless wrote:I use OH.org as a resource for acquiring the kind of firsthand eyewitness information about trails that I cannot get anywhere else, and for discussing issues that concern. . .For me, it doesn't matter if I get a couple dozen brief replies to my infrequent trail reports. I post them as a kind of repayment for all the valuable info I get here, in the hopes that they'll prove valuable to someone else some time. That's why I've concentrated on reporting about trails a bit further afield that get little coverage otherwise.

Aimless, thanks for some wonderful trip reports. I agree and the main reason I joined this board was because I was getting good info and felt I needed to payback by contributing to the trail knowledge base.

But I get the need for positive feedback when you post a trip report. I always feel let down when I post a trip report to some odd place, like Dinah-mo Peak (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19823), and there is little response.

So wouldn't it be cool if Oregon Hikers had a dual post option--click the right button and you post to both Oregon Hikers and to the Facebook page. And even cooler if feedback on both venues was cross posted automatically. That would help bring new folks to Oregon Hikers and get attention junkies a little love.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 13th, 2015, 1:45 pm

BurnsideBob wrote:So wouldn't it be cool if Oregon Hikers had a dual post option--click the right button and you post to both Oregon Hikers and to the Facebook page. And even cooler if feedback on both venues was cross posted automatically. That would help bring new folks to Oregon Hikers and get attention junkies a little love.
Even though a lot of the same people post in all three places, OregonHikers.org is not affiliated with either the Portland Hikers Facebook group or the Oregon Hikers Facebook group. Those two Facebook groups were created by regular ol' people. ;)

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 13th, 2015, 1:57 pm

justpeachy wrote:
BurnsideBob wrote:So wouldn't it be cool if Oregon Hikers had a dual post option--click the right button and you post to both Oregon Hikers and to the Facebook page. And even cooler if feedback on both venues was cross posted automatically. That would help bring new folks to Oregon Hikers and get attention junkies a little love.
Those two Facebook groups were created by regular ol' people. ;)
Karl Peterson is regular??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Like Karl would say, "Ha!"