What I learned today

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
jeffstatt

What I learned today

Post by jeffstatt » May 14th, 2009, 4:54 pm

What did you learn today?

Live, learn, pass it on! :)

mattisnotfrench

Re: What I learned today

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 14th, 2009, 7:17 pm

I learned how satisfying it is to beat punk sixth graders at basketball! :twisted:
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 14th, 2009, 9:41 pm

I learned that sometimes a simple question can send you on an unexpected, albeit small adventure.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » September 12th, 2009, 11:47 pm

Today, I learned that someone named Lucas Smith filed an affidavit in the US Ditrict court for a copy of a Kenya birth certificate: for Barack Hussein Obama.

http://americangrandjury.org/lucas-smit ... nyan-bc%3E

Now there may be 2 birth certificates.

Wish I had two birth certificates. I'd be feeling supernatural or something.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 13th, 2009, 3:34 am

I found out that there seems to be no way that my new HP printer will print black-and-white copies of color documents.

I learned that Sunday School material designed for grades 1-2 is far too advanced for 1st and 2nd graders in our local public school systems. It's not the first time I've noticed that our local school districts (Reynolds, Gresham, Centennial) are far behind the public school my grandchildren attend in the Seattle suburbs! It's not a question of money but of expectations, IMHO. My grandchildren had completed phonics and were reading by the time they finished kindergarten. I have a second-grade student here who still can't read, even though he seems quite bright. By the end of last school year, he was so discouraged that he stopped trying. I'm really frightened for him and am tempted to offer him and his parents some tutoring.

I found out today that Kaiser Permanente will not give the H1N1 shots to those over age 60. This bothers me because I teach a weekly class to a group of elementary school students, so I'll certainly be exposed!

I just now learned that, for a change, some activity is happening in this section of PortlandHikers (last post was in June)! Let's try to keep it going!

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » September 13th, 2009, 8:38 am

I learned for the hundredth time that fresh zucchini from one's own garden, baked into bread, is the absolute best way to get your veggies.

Anna
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

Martell

Post by Martell » September 13th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Are you serious?

I learned that "Lucas Smith has a very checkered background, which includes criminal records involving check forgery and an attempt to sell his kidney to a man who was in need of an organ transplant."

And the document is a forgery, but sane people already knew that, so I didn't "learn" it.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 13th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I think it's interesting that when Obama presented a birth certificate, the Hawaii official said it was valid, and there were articles in Hawaii newspapers announcing his birth that some people are still not satisfied. I think it's impossible to satisfy some people.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » September 13th, 2009, 3:21 pm

I've learned in spite of the official request of "Same rules apply: no politics...", there will always be someone who feels a need to start a war.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » September 13th, 2009, 3:30 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:I found out today that Kaiser Permanente will not give the H1N1 shots to those over age 60. This bothers me because I teach a weekly class to a group of elementary school students, so I'll certainly be exposed!
I've read that many (most?) folks over 60 appear to have a pre-existing immunity to N1H1, possibly due to having had an older flu in the past or having been inoculated to an older flu that is very similar to N1H1. Also, most of the N1H1 hospitalizations and deaths have been among those aged 49 and under--very different from your average flu. Hope that bodes well for you!