Fire lookout video game

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
justpeachy

Fire lookout video game

Post by justpeachy » March 18th, 2015, 11:49 am

Just heard about this today: a forthcoming video game that takes place a fire lookout. It's called Firewatch: http://www.firewatchgame.com/
Firewatch is a single-player first-person video game where you, as a man named Henry, explore the Wyoming wilderness after taking a summer job as a fire lookout. What is supposed to be a peaceful respite from your complicated life takes a turn when you start to question some of the things that are happening to you. Your only human connection is over a handheld radio, which you’ll use to speak with Delilah, your supervisor, about the things both of you are experiencing.
I'm intrigued!

Bosterson

Re: Fire lookout video game

Post by Bosterson » March 18th, 2015, 12:06 pm

I read about this a while back and thought your post meant it'd been released!! :(

Do they have a date set yet?
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » March 18th, 2015, 1:33 pm

That sounds interesting!

I enjoy video games, and for a long time my favorite was Cabellas Big Game Hunter - not so much for the hunting, but because each area was open to explore, and the scenery was very nice for a game at that time. I wasted hours of free time 'hiking' around that game.

Now I enjoy Grand theft Auto V for many of the same reasons. A wide open map you can wander around at your leisure, with woods, mountains, deserts, wild animals occasionally running by, birds, beautiful seashores being pounded by the waves, hills with wildflowers swaying in the breeze. It's pretty amazing, really. I have seen screenshots from the next-gen consoles like XBox One, and you really would think they are photographs of real places. It's amazing how good the graphics are getting. Strap on a set of VR goggles and get a walk-in-place treadmill and it sounds like a good way to kill some time.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 18th, 2015, 1:39 pm

rather than creating an imaginary map of some created world, video game should have a real place

like sometimes I walk around OHSU just for exercise. The top of the tram has incredible views. You can walk over the bridge from the main hospital to the veteran's hospital and look down, then walk down below the bridge and look up,... Lots of ways to get from point A to point B. Would make a great video game map

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 18th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Bosterson wrote:Do they have a date set yet?
According to their website "Firewatch doesn't have a release date yet but we'd love for it to come out in 2015."

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 23rd, 2015, 8:15 pm

New trailer! There's also a 17 minute gameplay video of the game demo that you can watch on their website.

https://youtu.be/cXWlgP5hZzc

But WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE RELEASED?! I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to buying a video game...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 24th, 2015, 5:33 am

Bosterson wrote:But WHEN IS IT GOING TO BE RELEASED?! I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to buying a video game...
I was just looking at their website the other day and it didn't have any new information from when I last checked in March. I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning to release this right before the holidays.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 16th, 2016, 11:53 pm

FYI: Firewatch was released last week on Steam (for PC/Mac) and PS4. The Steam version is $20, and while it's a pretty short game, it's very neat - kind of like a small, personal movie that you get to "play." The game is about interacting with the lookout in the other tower as you try to solve a mystery, but meanwhile you get to run around the woods and rappel down cliffs and pick up hikers' trash. The graphics and visual design are lovely, and if you take your time playing the game, you can enjoy the scenery as you "hike" around for hours.

You can also build real-life map and compass skills in-game! (Bonus points if you turn off the "show location on map" option, so you actually have to figure out where you are.)