Idaho

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Don Nelsen

Re: Idaho

Post by Don Nelsen » December 18th, 2014, 1:06 pm

BigBear wrote:Koda: Thanks for explaining "minimum" on the sign. I read it as "trucks" or "trucks at night" since that is what I am used to and never think of the 2nd number applying to me. It is in interesting situation that there is a minimum.

In Oregon, you can get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic. I would hate to have a "minimum" if weather conditions make it prudent to drive slower. For example, the hill on the east side of Pendleton, covered in ice, I would hate to have someone enforcing a minimum on me.
I think you can get a ticket for driving under the limit but "too fast for conditions". The hill you mentioned is a good example of that. Even 40 mph in a blizzard is too fast for that thing!

Koda's minimum sign is interesting. There just a few of those on Oahu. I think there are a few on Maui, too but I don't remember any on the other islands and I've driven just about every paved road (and a lot of unpaved roads) on all the islands but Lanai.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 18th, 2014, 1:10 pm

I don't remember where I had seen it, but there is or was a basic minimum speed law that went something like "vehicle must be able to maintain a minimum of 40 MPH on level highway" or something like that.

Weather throws all minimum speed requirements out the window in a wholesale fashion. I would never travel 40MPH on ice or in thick fog, no one else should unless they are on ice skates or are using FLIR. :D
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Koda

Post by Koda » December 18th, 2014, 1:18 pm

BigBear wrote:In Oregon, you can get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic. I would hate to have a "minimum" if weather conditions make it prudent to drive slower. For example, the hill on the east side of Pendleton, covered in ice, I would hate to have someone enforcing a minimum on me.
The "Basic Rule" law overrides any minimum, or speed limit law. http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/811.100

I would be surprised to learn if anyone in Oregon has been convicted of impeding traffic. My remark is more of a pet peeve… certainly not even on my list of things to worry about. But it does happen frequently. Most likely my definition of impediment is different than the law.

Whats interesting about Peders photo is I was just visiting Idaho over Thanksgiving and when I noticed that 80mph sign it felt awkward going that fast.... at first.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » December 18th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Lumpy wrote:I don't remember where I had seen it, but there is or was a basic minimum speed law that went something like "vehicle must be able to maintain a minimum of 40 MPH on level highway" or something like that.
I've sure seen them over the years. I think mostly in farm country (Dakotas, Minnesota), where they think nothing of driving combines down the Interstate.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » December 18th, 2014, 7:48 pm

From a work trip in 2012- a memorable speed suggestion sign- Clark Fork Idaho -

Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs

Peabody

Post by Peabody » December 18th, 2014, 9:36 pm

Having lived in the Detroit Metro area for most of my life I'm always amused when people consider 80mph on a rural stretch of highway "fast". Most of the freeways (yep that's what they're called) in the Metro region are posted at 70mph and many drivers will typically add an additional 10-20 miles on top of that just to be safe.

Forbes

Detroit Piston selfie notice it's 9:30 in the morning and the light traffic.

The unofficial state motorist motto is: "We build 'em, we'll drive 'em as fast as we want"
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

romann

Post by romann » December 19th, 2014, 12:31 am

BigBear wrote: In Oregon, you can get a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.
One time I was stuck in long line behind a slow car on SR14 in the Gorge, and police car joined in, followed the line for a while and then passed everyone and pulled over a car in front. I think there's a rule in WA that if you have 5 cars (or is it 3?) behind, you need to stop at turnout or shoulder and let them pass. But I guess if you drive at least speed limit and have drivers on your tail who want to go faster, you don't need to worry much about that rule...

On the other note on SR14, I can't wait when they make at least one eastbound passing lane, somewhere in 55 miles between Washougal and Lyle ;)

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 19th, 2014, 10:53 am

romann wrote:I think there's a rule in WA that if you have 5 cars (or is it 3?) behind, you need to stop at turnout or shoulder and let them pass. But I guess if you drive at least speed limit and have drivers on your tail who want to go faster, you don't need to worry much about that rule...
All three west coast states have this law. the sticky part is finding a safe place to pull over, get off of the traveled part of the roadway, and sfaely reenter the roadway. Much harder for bigger and heavier vehicles than a passenger car.
On the other note on SR14, I can't wait when they make at least one eastbound passing lane, somewhere in 55 miles between Washougal and Lyle ;)
Some of us know that passing lane is called I84. :P
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"