PH Gunfight thread

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
mcds

Re: PH Gunfight thread

Post by mcds » December 12th, 2014, 12:27 pm

My post that polled forum members for whether or not they will be bringing one or more their guns to the meet-n-deet tomorrow night was deleted by Bosterson because he misinterpreted it as trolling.

The stats and viewpoints that have been presented here which support the idea that 'a gun in the house' creates a more dangerous environment rather than a more safe environment apply similarly, in my opinion, to other environments, such as tomorrow's meet-n-deet.

The poll reflects my opinion that people have a right to know if there will be guns at ph.org's annual party, where many people, perhaps most will be consuming at least one alcoholic drink.

Let me restate the question to gun owners: will you be bringing a gun(s) to the meet-n-deet tomorrow night?

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 12th, 2014, 12:36 pm

Will you be requesting the CV's of those that respond that they would? Is there one type of person over another that would not make you feel like there was an unusual risk of someone with a license to carry a firearm in Oregon, which by the way, requires a safety class before they can apply for the license?

Would you give me your full name and DOB so I can see if you are a convicted criminal and/or registered sex offender?

Isn't this a ridiculous rabbit hole we could go down?
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

mcds

Re: $88,000 fine imposed on a group of target shooters

Post by mcds » December 12th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Lumpy wrote:
mcds wrote:Why would one feel justified in both owning a gun and not being financially responsible for associated accidents?
Likely due to the over-arching belief in many things that "It won't happen to me."

It's an interesting question.
My question is about morals, not a legality. My impression is that "cleaning up after yourself" is a widely held value in the US. Another way to phrase it is "if you break it, you buy it". I would guess that the vast majority of gun advocates hold that value.

Assuming you are a gun owner, what is your answer?

mcds

Post by mcds » December 12th, 2014, 12:50 pm

Lumpy wrote:Will you be requesting the CV's of those that respond that they would? Is there one type of person over another that would not make you feel like there was an unusual risk of someone with a license to carry a firearm in Oregon, which by the way, requires a safety class before they can apply for the license?
No, just requesting to know about the presence of guns at the meet-n-deet. What's the big deal in owning-up?

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » December 12th, 2014, 1:02 pm

mcds wrote:No, just requesting to know about the presence of guns at the meet-n-deet. What's the big deal in owning-up?
I think the past approaching hundred pages of information might be a guide as to why anyone would not want to own up. Also, does this really need to end up being a decision point for people to decide if they want to attend the function? I believe it will be far more dangerous for anyone to travel to the function than it would be to have a licensed and lawfully carried firearm present. Funny the risks people are willing to irrationally forget over one thing.

I just want to know the criminal records of the people at the Meet-n-Deet. What's the big deal in owning up? Hmm?

Here's something for you to chew on: despite any answers to your question posted here, unless the restaurant will be closed to the public for our event, the unknowns will be riskier than the knowns. Unless you post yourself or someone you trust at the door to sake everyone down, you just can't even begin to control who brings what in.

And that is what is called "reality".
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

raven

Post by raven » December 12th, 2014, 1:08 pm

It's not a rabbit hole, Lumpy.

1. There is a long tradition in bars in the western US of having guns checked at the door. Also courthouses.

2. The assertion of unlimited rights is unsettled. From a quote in an earlier post:
... the Supreme Court always found that the Second Amendment only applied to militia members until--wait for it--2008, when it overturned 200 years of precedent in HELLER v. DC.And even there, Justice Anonin Scalia wrote in the majority opinion that gun regulation was perfectly reasonable. [ http://www2.bloomberglaw.com/public/des ... L_Ed_2d_63 ][
An unfettered "right to carry" in the USA is a fantasy. The question is what fetters should apply, and where.

And perhaps a person has the "right to know" whether someone who doesn't like a point of view may be fingering a projectile weapon.

Martell

Post by Martell » December 12th, 2014, 1:11 pm

Since McD's decided to repost something a moderator clearly did not want posted, I'm going to lock the thread. We're not in constructive territory anymore. I'll let the mods discuss if they want to unlock it.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper