3G in the backcountry

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
retired jerry

Re: 3G in the backcountry

Post by retired jerry » September 23rd, 2014, 7:49 pm

Can you also receive a message without smart phone on an InReach?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » September 23rd, 2014, 9:05 pm

I too have noticed that calls usually never go through in the backcountry (which is fine) even with "bars" but that texts go through easily most of the time. I've been considering switching from my SPOT Connect to an InReach for next season. I like the option to only pay month to month when you need it rather than an entire year (since I only need it for a few months or so. More expensive per month, but less overall. The slight added weight is a bit of a downer, but I like the 2-way messaging and the actual confirmation of a message sent which SPOT doesn't really do.

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » September 24th, 2014, 9:05 am

retired jerry wrote:Can you also receive a message without smart phone on an InReach?
Yes. The inReach is fully functional without the phone. The phone, really the Earthmate app on the phone, just provides a better UI. On the phone you have a keyboard to type in messages. On the inReach you have to select characters from a table. It's like entering text on a Garmin 60x GPS.
Dave

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 24th, 2014, 9:34 am

That's not so bad

Probably the only message I'de ever send is "ok"

Well, and "love you"

Maybe "lv u"

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » September 24th, 2014, 10:33 am

retired jerry wrote:Probably the only message I'de ever send is "ok"

Well, and "love you"

Maybe "lv u"
Very easy to do with a SPOT, but as you've said, the annual contract and lack of flexibility are things you don't like about the service. I find I use it for other things, though. I use on my motorcycle to let folks I know see where I'm going, to track places I've been, send messages, and I have a towing service connected to it, so if outside of cell range I can get help. I'm sure the InReach offers the same options, but with a monthly contract and more messaging flexibility.
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"