Have you ever herd of Russia's Mt of the dead?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Roy

Have you ever herd of Russia's Mt of the dead?

Post by Roy » March 7th, 2014, 9:58 am

I was surprised I had never herd of this one I have a large collection of mountaineering books and many end in tragedy.

http://themoscownews.com/russia/2013021 ... there.html

Lots of stuff out there if you Google this some pretty gruesome.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Stefrobrts

Re: Have you ever herd of Russia's Mt of the dead?

Post by Stefrobrts » March 7th, 2014, 10:04 am

Yeah, it's a fun, creepy mystery. You might enjoy this breakdown of the actual facts:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4108
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

raftingdog

Post by raftingdog » March 7th, 2014, 12:57 pm

Russia has dark outlook... sometimes humor is very much affected...Russian whitewater rafting guide Vlad on Middle Fork Salmon River in Idaho...after customers paddled inflatable kayaks for hour thru rapids....said WE will let them catch up and I will tell them of their fate.... then he told kayakers I did not expect so many survivors....

Roy

Post by Roy » March 7th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Ive read many accounts of tragedies like this but I never herd of everyone being killed. (Well most have survivors) With the tent found and the Soviet attitude at the time about informing people of such things. That leads to a lot if wild theories.

It would be interesting to read the classified report.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » March 8th, 2014, 2:44 pm

I actually read a book recently called Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar. He's a documentary filmmaker and not a scientist nor a journalist, but he ended up going to Russia and hiking in to Dyatlov Pass to have a look for himself. In the process, he interviewed Yuri Yudin, the only member of the group who survived (because he was ill and had to turn back before they left civilization).

Eichar concludes, after considering all the facts, and reading the partially declassified Soviet report, that explanations involving UFOs or government conspiracies don't hold up to scrutiny, and that the slope of Mt. Otorten where the group camped was not sufficiently steep to cause an avalanche that would hit them. Instead, after talking to some acoustic scientists, his hypothesis is that strong winds that rolled up the slopes of the mountain would create subsonic sound waves - called infrasound - that have been demonstrated to screw with people's nervous systems and generally freak them out. So he suggests that the group steadily became more and more agitated and nervous until they blitzed out of the tent and ran down the hill, whereupon it was well below zero, they weren't properly attired, and when they regained their senses, they were unable to make it back to the tent and all died of exposure (or, for a few of them, injuries from walking off a snow bank in the dark). It's an interesting hypothesis. And certainly an intriguing mystery.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Roy

Post by Roy » March 9th, 2014, 10:16 am

Bosterson wrote:I actually read a book recently called Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident by Donnie Eichar. He's a documentary filmmaker and not a scientist nor a journalist, but he ended up going to Russia and hiking in to Dyatlov Pass to have a look for himself. In the process, he interviewed Yuri Yudin, the only member of the group who survived (because he was ill and had to turn back before they left civilization).

Eichar concludes, after considering all the facts, and reading the partially declassified Soviet report, that explanations involving UFOs or government conspiracies don't hold up to scrutiny, and that the slope of Mt. Otorten where the group camped was not sufficiently steep to cause an avalanche that would hit them. Instead, after talking to some acoustic scientists, his hypothesis is that strong winds that rolled up the slopes of the mountain would create subsonic sound waves - called infrasound - that have been demonstrated to screw with people's nervous systems and generally freak them out. So he suggests that the group steadily became more and more agitated and nervous until they blitzed out of the tent and ran down the hill, whereupon it was well below zero, they weren't properly attired, and when they regained their senses, they were unable to make it back to the tent and all died of exposure (or, for a few of them, injuries from walking off a snow bank in the dark). It's an interesting hypothesis. And certainly an intriguing mystery.

Wow I will have to read this one that's quiet a theory. I and you to may have been caught high on a mountain in hurricane winds. Its unnerving to have your back up against the tent to hold it up and its so loud you cant communicate with with your partner. Your instinct is to get out of there.

To Ive noticed high winds in the mountains above the tree line slam into the the mountain and then roar up and down the gully's and slopes causing insane noise .

Its a wild theory but I'm not sure its as crazy as some of the others.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 14th, 2021, 5:04 am

good story, thanks

I like "the skiers died because they had stumbled into an area where secret weapons were being tested; alternatively, the party was “killed by mercenaries,” probably American spies."

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 14th, 2021, 8:01 am

I watched a movie about this a few years ago called Devil's Pass. Disturbing, to say the least. I usually am not interested in horror flicks but the winter trek, mountains, and mystery intrigued me.

Edit: The movie is a follow up trek to where the incident occurred so not exactly about the incident. Kind of like the Blair Witch movies but in Russia with a lot of snow.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » May 14th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 8:01 am
Edit: The movie is a follow up trek to where the incident occurred so not exactly about the incident. Kind of like the Blair Witch movies but in Russia with a lot of snow.
DN, didn't that movie make it so that the incident was due to Soviet alien zombie mutants or something? I am skeptical of how accurate that hypothesis might be... ;)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased