Where is this lookout?

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
justpeachy

Where is this lookout?

Post by justpeachy » February 4th, 2014, 10:32 am

In George Henderson's excellent memoir Lonely on the Mountain he has a lookout picture on page 239 that I'm trying to identify. The caption reads "A Forest Service L-4 style fire lookout cabin with shutters open, similar to the cabin on Bonney Butte that had been left unattended in November 1942." So that indicates that the lookout in the photo is not Bonney Butte, but a different location. I'm hoping that there is something unique on the horizon (see below) that will help identify the location.
lookout_horizon.jpg
George has, unfortunately, passed on. And I found out from one his daughters that the original photos and negatives were lost in a basement flood. So I'm turning to the collective brain!

BigBear

Re: Where is this lookout?

Post by BigBear » February 4th, 2014, 12:51 pm

If I had to hazard a guess I would think the background is the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness, but that is only a WAG. The pointy peak to the right and the deep river canyon infront and behind it are the clues for the correct answer.

Koda

Post by Koda » February 4th, 2014, 1:20 pm

BigBear wrote:The pointy peak to the right and the deep river canyon infront and behind it are the clues for the correct answer.
the lookout in the Bull of the Woods...
zoom ground level into the tower in GE and pan to view to the SW.... seems to match the photo.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

shawjr

Post by shawjr » February 4th, 2014, 6:53 pm

Koda, That seems like a good fit, but I'm still not sure?? Here is the panorama looking SW for comparison.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 4th, 2014, 7:02 pm

From shadow of chimney, it's probably looking SW

The shadow is fairly short so must be close to noon. Maybe the building is oriented N-S?

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 5th, 2014, 8:24 am

It's not Bull of the Woods. That one is a tower and the unknown lookout is on the ground. Here is the full photo.
unknown_lookout.jpg
unknown_lookout.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 3021 times

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 5th, 2014, 8:27 am

You're going to have to go to every possible spot, with that picture in hand, and see if it matches :)

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » February 5th, 2014, 8:46 am

retired jerry wrote:You're going to have to go to every possible spot, with that picture in hand, and see if it matches :)
Ha! Can you imagine! Knowing my luck it would probably be the very last one on the list. :D

One interesting thing here is that it looks like the guy in the photo is standing on a slightly higher point than the lookout itself. I'm hoping that will be another clue in finding out where this is.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 5th, 2014, 8:59 am

Is that picture from 1942?

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » February 5th, 2014, 9:40 am

This might help. I chose the view from Bull of the Woods, but you can choose any point from which to view a skyline in any direction.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.