All Firearms Discussions in This Thread

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
forestkeeper

Re: All Firearms Discussions in This Thread

Post by forestkeeper » May 25th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I'm curious Karl, why are you so afraid that you might hurt someones feelings? Can you not stand up for what you believe in, like a man? "OOOO, I'm soooo sorry if I offend my precious tff's!" Even though the people you hike with are spineless and would turn you @ss in to Uncle Sam in a heartbeat if you were breaking the future law of possessing a firearm. "OOOO, someone dropped toilet paper on the ferns after thEY went to the bathroom. Oooo gross!!! We better call the forest service and report that someone littered.OOooo!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: I remember a past thread about someone getting offended about some guy peeing in a stream. Oh, I think we know who the Lefties are in this site, don't we? "OOOooo that hiker has a gun on his hip, hurry, notify Obama.....OOOoooo!!!" :roll:

Koda

Post by Koda » May 25th, 2013, 3:03 pm

kepPNW wrote:One mark of that change was the "sudden need" to carry guns, in particular concealed guns.
Who says it was a sudden need? All I see in any surge in CHL permits is people waking up to taking responsibility for their own protection, and their right to exercise their freedom lawfully with respect to others. And calling the NRA a terrorist organization.... I don't see any organization that encourages and supports constitutional rights as a terrorist organization, sounds like an ad hominem argument to me. ;)

Kep, I appreciate the dialog and thoughtful discussion. Rolling with your thoughts... I'm not certain how much reform you mean so I am only hypothesizing but.... lets say if all I can own is a long arm for hunting, if all I can carry outside my home is nothing, then I see a place where my personal security is dependent on a system provided by the govt, like 911. I see that system, like it is now, where crime is handled by legislation after the fact. 2A arguments aside, that's not a place I want to be. I want to be able to chose when and how I can protect myself and my family... and that to me is what the second amendment provides.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Post by Koda » May 25th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Crusak wrote: Some of the statements from people like the mayor of NYC and the police chief of San Diego have alarmed me very greatly! Both of those men want to see 100% gun confiscation within our generation, and they've both declared that it will happen. ......... What alarms me more is the strong efforts being made to teach the next generation that guns are bad and must be eliminated from society.
(underscore emphasis mine) +1 Crusak. and here is a random blog article supporting your confiscation concerns: http://www.level-headed.net/2013/05/gun ... n-america/. The efforts to blame the guns for the crime is scary to me because it removes the focus on the criminal. There will always be crime, there will always be a world with violence and these people want to restrict the law abiding, it doesn't make sense?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 25th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Koda wrote:
kepPNW wrote:One mark of that change was the "sudden need" to carry guns, in particular concealed guns.

Who says it was a sudden need?
Prior to 1980, only five states permitted concealed carry. In a few short years after that, forty-four more passed authorizing legislation. That's pretty sudden, in the long haul.
Koda wrote:All I see in any surge in CHL permits is people waking up to taking responsibility for their own protection, and their right to exercise their freedom lawfully with respect to others.
That's all? Really? How did people possibly manage for the 200 years before that? Must've been something else that changed?
Koda wrote:And calling the NRA a terrorist organization.... I don't see any organization that encourages and supports constitutional rights as a terrorist organization, sounds like an ad hominem argument to me. ;)
I don't pay that much attention to them, to be sure. Every time I do hear them making a statement, though, it sure seems to me their main intent is to scare people. Isn't that root meaning of terrorist? (Consider that rhetorical, given what I'm about to offer.)

My sense is there's very little to gain by continuing on in this thread... I am curious whether you meant "rights" in the plural sense, though. Last word, yours.

Will, I'd love to go hiking with you, too, sometime! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » May 25th, 2013, 3:37 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Koda wrote:All I see in any surge in CHL permits is people waking up to taking responsibility for their own protection, and their right to exercise their freedom lawfully with respect to others.
That's all? Really? How did people possibly manage for the 200 years before that? Must've been something else that changed?
In those 200 years the right to open carry a gun has been mostly eliminated. I think any surge in CHL permits has a regard to respecting others out in public especially in urban environments. Also I don't think any surge in CHL's as a point in time where society's outlook changed, America has always had a large gun culture from the beginning.
My sense is there's very little to gain by continuing on in this thread... I am curious whether you meant "rights" in the plural sense, though. Last word, yours.
Its been a fun and educating debate, I dont see a need to explain what I meant if its going to wind down or close... besides, I think we argued that already.
Will, I'd love to go hiking with you, too, sometime!
Whats with all the commas? Are those dependent clauses? I just want to make certain we capture the literal meaning, and not the intent! ;)

xrp

Post by xrp » May 25th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Last edited by xrp on May 25th, 2013, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 25th, 2013, 3:52 pm

nwtrailape wrote:I'm curious Karl, why are you so afraid that you might hurt someones feelings? Can you not stand up for what you believe in, like a man?
Actually, I owe you better than I managed. I thought it was pretty clear from my posts here that I don't believe guns are the problem with our society. I believe the real problem is macho bullshit posturing. My friends here aren't inclined that way, of course, but I know damn well that all too frequently ASCII words don't come across the same as they do in person. If anything else I've posted here isn't clear, and you're really interested, let's talk. (Assuming the goal of mutual understanding's not too effeminate?) I think that at this point, I'd prefer to do that on the trail. I see no good reason to continue the direction you're wanting to take this online. Could be I'm just misunderstanding you? <shrug> Either way, it's a waste of Internet ink to keep it up. Hopefully that clears up my other snippy one sentence reply.
Koda wrote:Whats with all the commas? Are those dependent clauses? I just want to make certain we capture the literal meaning, and not the intent! ;)
:lol:

Offer stands! You too! Literally and intentionally... Name the trailhead. :D
Karl

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » May 25th, 2013, 3:54 pm

:D Haha Me too! I really don't care what anyone believes about guns or gun control, I know that nearly everyone on this site has enough wits. I guess if I had enough faith in the One above, I wouldn't even need to carry my little .38 Special around on the few times that I do. God knows when my time is up so regardless if I'm armed or not, I'm gonna go whether I like it or not. Until the government takes the 2nd Amendment away from us, I still have the right to carry my little peashooter for protection. It's really all about when and where I need to use that right, not if I have one. I have the right to jump off the Glen Jackson bridge, but I'm not going to exercise that right. haha plus I can't swim very good anyhow. ;) I just like to hear what people believe in without worrying about hurting other's feelings. I'm a born again Christian. I'm not going to say that it "might" be right or wrong, just because you may be Muslim and you are my tff. Muslims have hated Christians and Jews for over thousands of years. Are they sorry? Not likely.

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » May 25th, 2013, 3:59 pm

:lol: I would say Defiance but you have hiked this one too many times. hahaha. Have a nice Memorial weekend Karl and Koda. See u guys on the trails. Remember, I'm the tall goofy looking guy. ;)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 25th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Heheheheh... ASSuming that was directed to me, Will... Here's my hand in friendship! :)

I'm sure we'd have a fine time hiking together!
Karl