All Firearms Discussions in This Thread

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
Crusak

Re: All Firearms Discussions in This Thread

Post by Crusak » May 23rd, 2013, 7:02 am

kepPNW wrote:
Koda wrote:Airoff, my apologies I didn't mean to offend you. I don't agree that someone open carrying a gun is making a point, but that is all.
I'm sure that's (most often) the perspective of the guy open carrying in the woods. (As opposed to open carrying at Safeway!) Probably good for that guy to know the perspective of (some/many of) those he encounters. Peace comes of understanding.
Chase wrote:Once again, I respect all of you and am proud to be a member of this community.
What he said. :)
Honestly I'm in awe of the majority of the people in this forum. You're a pretty amazing bunch, and not just because of your hiking knowledge and experience. It's funny, Karl and I have hiked together a few times now and our conversations have occasionally drifted into the firearms topic. We have pretty different opinions about the subject. I have no problem befriending people who have different opinions from mine. In fact it's refreshing, and helps me better define what I think and believe. I find most of the debate to be healthy and productive.

Some of the best friends I have are diametric opposites of me politically. It's interesting the things that draw people together.
xrp wrote:
Crusak wrote:"what type of ammo do you use?"
XM193
hehe don't know if you're serious... but I've got a few hundred rounds of that myself. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 23rd, 2013, 7:12 am

Crusak wrote:Honestly I'm in awe of the majority of the people in this forum. You're a pretty amazing bunch, and not just because of your hiking knowledge and experience. It's funny, Karl and I have hiked together a few times now and our conversations have occasionally drifted into the firearms topic. We have pretty different opinions about the subject. I have no problem befriending people who have different opinions from mine. In fact it's refreshing, and helps me better define what I think and believe. I find most of the debate to be healthy and productive.

Some of the best friends I have are diametric opposites of me politically. It's interesting the things that draw people together.
Damn, here I go again...
:D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 23rd, 2013, 7:42 am

Koda wrote:Crusak, Kimber trumps Glock.... :)
+1 to that good sir! :lol:

I love this board, maybe it's just the NW folk but I can't think of any other forum that could start a threat with so much potential for trolling and keep it respectful and under control :D

airoff: In general I would agree, there's no reason for anyone to know anyone else has a weapon, and most of the reasons against open carry in most cases is exactly that.

That said, especially in a hiking situation, the normal concealed carry methods are somewhat lacking. They're not designed for hiking, nor are they comfortable during hard work. If I were to carry on a long backcountry hike, I would definitely prefer open carry purely from a comfort standpoint. That's not me trying to be a dick, or trying to be confrontational. I think most of that could easily be dispelled with how you talk to the people you meet along the way.

In all honesty though, I would probably recommend keeping it out of sight until you were out of tourist trails, and then switch to be more comfortable.

All that said, I'm definitely a gear hound, so I'd be curious to know what carry solutions you guys have found out there? I know CamelBak had a short run 'demon' series for concealed carry, and have a new "urban assault concealment" bag (probably not the best name) that I believe is limited to LE and Military sales..

Maxpedition puts out a number of good packs, but I haven't hiked with any of them. Short of a chest rig in cold weather, or a few oddball full cover holsters I've found few options that would be comfortable, accessible and concealable with a full pack on. Thoughts?
Last edited by Lurch on May 23rd, 2013, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Koda

Post by Koda » May 23rd, 2013, 8:17 am

Lurch beat me to this kinda but I'll paste my comments anyways..

I don’t believe someone not breaking the law has to cater to others, but I do believe they should be respectful. Sometimes it’s not so simple to ALWAYS carry concealed and there are many circumstances that determine that outcome. For example, I would never open carry on the Wahkeena trail or probably many other of the popular Gorge trails, out of respect to their popular use and others. But what about someone who is not from the area, that is used to taking their gun hiking. They read the laws and see its legal then proceed only to be confronted with name calling or branded some sort of criminal just because they were less aware of local knowledge.

FWIW let me clarify my overall opinion on the subject: if you’re going to carry a gun hiking, I highly encourage to carry concealed. If your going to open carry, try to reserve that for the less popular trails or off trail and be courteous to those you meet. Your better off carrying pepper spray for animal attacks.

What I don’t understand is if you read through any of my comments they have all been polite and with regard to safety and respect to others while respecting the lawful rights to all. My only defensive remarks were in response to perceived ridicule… for which I apologized… I’ve never called anyone names. I heavily encourage people to carry pepper spray for animal concerns, and I’ve done nothing but promote safe responsible and respectful gun ownership, use and carry and I get ridiculed as the bad example?

What gives? If I’m doing something, saying something wrong let me know politely so I can learn.

Crusak, what I would do if I was you is keep your Glock and buy another Kimber. All I use now are 1911’s in 45 and 10mm.
Lurch, I have tried some various carry methods and have some input but will comment later, I’m out of time for now.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 23rd, 2013, 8:46 am

Hey Koda, I hope I didn't come across as ridiculing you (or anyone else in this thread), as that was certainly never my intent. From all you've said, I've heard nothing but responsibility on your part. Apologies if I misjudged my words.

Lurch's post also alerted me to an aspect I hadn't even considered. I'm sure it is more comfortable to carry in some ways that others. Hmmmm...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Chase

Post by Chase » May 23rd, 2013, 8:59 am

airoff

Post by airoff » May 23rd, 2013, 9:04 am

Koda wrote:Airoff, my apologies I didn't mean to offend you. I don't agree that someone open carrying a gun is making a point, but that is all.
Dude, you didn't offend me in the least! I apologize if it came across that way. This is just one if those topics that people have strong opinions on. I enjoyed the discussion!

solarjinx

Post by solarjinx » May 23rd, 2013, 6:54 pm

That said, especially in a hiking situation, the normal concealed carry methods are somewhat lacking. They're not designed for hiking, nor are they comfortable during hard work. If I were to carry on a long backcountry hike, I would definitely prefer open carry purely from a comfort standpoint.
FWIW let me clarify my overall opinion on the subject: if you’re going to carry a gun hiking, I highly encourage to carry concealed. If your going to open carry, try to reserve that for the less popular trails or off trail and be courteous to those you meet. Your better off carrying pepper spray for animal attacks.
I agree very much with the above quotes. I don't have any special holsters, except for the one that came with my gun when I bought it, and the only place I could put it was on my hip belt (which was open carry) when I did that solo hike. From now on when I do solo hikes in the backcountry, my gun will be hidden. I'll have my bear spray at easy access to help with my bear phobia, and the gun will be elsewhere.
All that said, I'm definitely a gear hound, so I'd be curious to know what carry solutions you guys have found out there? I know CamelBak had a short run 'demon' series for concealed carry, and have a new "urban assault concealment" bag (probably not the best name) that I believe is limited to LE and Military sales..
I hear 5.11 Tactical makes great products! ;)
Last edited by solarjinx on May 23rd, 2013, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Koda

Post by Koda » May 23rd, 2013, 7:10 pm

Thank you Airoff and Kep

ok, group hug (get Chase in this one...). There's a reason I like this forum that everyone here is respectful.

Cheers
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Peder

Post by Peder » May 23rd, 2013, 10:22 pm

Lurch wrote:Peder: Nice try but the 18th was in 1919, far outside founding fathers and bill of rights territory ;)

But that's WAY outside the spectrum of this thread, so I think it honestly comes down to just a couple questions.

1. Do you oppose the idea of concealed carry?
2. Do you oppose the idea of open carry?
3. Does the type of weapon matter?
4. So long as there is no criminal intent, does the reason for carry matter?
5. Does location matter?.
I think that I had a very valid point by mentioning the Eighteenth Amendment: That amendment was replaced and other amendments can likewise be revised. These are “Amendments” (not Commandments!) after all and, in my opinion, not carved in stone.

Furthermore, the Prohibition of Alcohol was a wise decision, as the consumption of alcohol causes numerous deaths: For example “Teen alcohol use kills about 6000 people each year, more than all illegal drugs combined.” (source MADD) and 40% of traffic deaths are alcohol related, as is the case for suicide attempts. Worse, 54% of all violent crimes are alcohol-related, 60% of all emergency room admissions are alcohol-related and 80% of all domestic disputes are alcohol-related. (source)

So banning alcohol, an addictive drug that does so much damage in our society, can be justified. That said, I would regret missing my annual glass of Château de Tomroy on Mt Whittier. :(

Therefore, if the Eighteenth Amendment were still in place, the US would be a healthier and safer place. Other decisions imposed by authorities, such as imposing the use of seatbelts in cars, reduces the number of road fatalities.

That brings me to the Second Amendment, which refers to the militia that became the National Guard in 1903. The National Guard website describes the history as follows: “Throughout the 19th century the size of the Regular Army was small, and the militia provided the bulk of the troops during the Mexican War, the early months of the Civil War, and the Spanish-American War.” Obviously, when the “militia” became the National Guard in 1903, the Second Amendment became obsolete or should have been updated.

In my opinion, the Supreme Court (of “corporations are persons” fame), the NRA and the gun industry deliberately misinterpret the Second Amendment to their end. Sadly, guns are deadly and the US statistics reflect this: Other than the fact that about 60% of gun deaths are suicides, the daily carnage is appalling. Heroes defending their home or fighting crime do not cause these deaths. It is mostly senseless deaths and injuries, such as an 11 year old killed by her army veteran stepfather practicing his quick draw or a police officer shot by a schizophrenic middle-age woman during a routine traffic stop.

In the interest of public safety, and to protect people from themselves, stricter gun laws would make a lot of sense: Firmer gun laws will save lives, just as the law forcing us to wear seatbelts saves about 9,500 lives in the US every year. Therefore, for those of us with compassion for fellow humans killed by guns, improved gun regulations seem logic and mandatory. With sensible gun laws, the 11-year-old girl and the police officer would both still be alive today...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…