Fire Lookout Towers & Guard Stations

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
shawjr

Fire Lookout Towers & Guard Stations

Post by shawjr » January 26th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I know there are other fire lookout enthusiasts out there, so I thought it would be cool to start a thread on fire lookouts and guard stations. For the past few years this has been a hobby of mine, visiting various peaks in the northwest whether the lookout is still there or not. Sometimes the views are long gone along with the tower, but it’s still cool to visit these historical places and imagine the adventures the old-timers had while working these lonely mountain tops. Others the views are unparalleled and spectacular. I often find myself in the winter months looking forward to the snow melting, and making these great places to visit more accessible. Not that a snowshoe hike is out of the question…

I was hoping people would post anything related to fire lookouts & guard stations. Photo’s old or new, references to your favorite books or websites.

I’ll start it off with my favorite book. Fire Lookouts of the Northwest- by Ray Kresek. This book is packed full of great information on anything lookout related… Ray even has a museum dedicated to the history of lookouts and fighting forest fires. You can visit the museum by appointment only; it is located in Spokane, WA if you are in the area. http://www.firelookouts.com/

Favorite website. http://www.firelookout.com/or.html

Favorite lookout site. Bull Of The Woods

retired jerry

Re: Fire Lookout Towers & Guard Stations

Post by retired jerry » January 26th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Devil's Peak near Mount Hood
030.JPG
I spent a couple nights there. Nice, because it was raining.

shawjr

Post by shawjr » January 26th, 2013, 8:13 pm

One of my favorites as well Jerry :D

Here are a couple photo's from my visit there a couple years ago. Amazing views of Hood...

The volunteers that take care of this one do a fine job :D

cfm

Post by cfm » January 27th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Carpenter Lookout is one of my favorites:

It sits on top a mighty fine chunk of hexagonal basalt columns. It also provides a great view of a local well known monolith: Wolf Rock. Staffed in the summer, Carpenter Lookout is in the Blue River area of the McKenzie River drainage, Willamette NF.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 27th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Fellow fire lookout enthusiast here! Ray Kresek's book is definitely an awesome resource, and I'm planning to visit his museum in Spokane this summer.

Greg and I have been working on the Oregon Fire Lookout Geocaching Challenge, which has led us on some very interesting and fun adventures. More often than not the roads that lead to lookouts or lookout sites are no longer maintained and are in HORRIBLE condition!

We've had so much fun working on the geocaching challenge that we've set ourselves another challenge: visit every standing fire lookout in Oregon (there are about 170 of them). We both work full-time and summers are SO short, so it'll probably take us awhile!

On a related note, after my Mt. Hood National Forest book is done I'll be working on a book of historic photos of Oregon lookouts (so if you have any such photos, let me know! :D ).

One of the coolest-looking lookouts is the Warner Mountain Lookout, which is available as a rental (but unfortunately only in winter). What fun it would be to go up in that cupola and survey the world around you!

I'll give a little plug here for the Forest Fire Lookout Association, which "promotes the protection, enjoyment, and understanding of lookouts." In many cases the Forest Service (or whoever the landowner might be) isn't doing much to preserve or care for lookouts on their land, so organizations like this are important.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 27th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Is there any evidence left of the lookout that used to be on the summit of Hood? I suppose the only time the remains may be exposed is in the summer when summiting Hood is dangerous...
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

shawjr

Post by shawjr » January 27th, 2013, 8:53 pm

Jen, Carpenter looks like a great one! Now on my radar :D That Wolf Rock looks impressive!

Ckeryl, I know what you mean about the lookout challenge. Once you visit one or two then three, it starts getting addicting... I have thoroughly enjoyed each one I have visited.
You would totally enjoy the museum. We stopped by there on our way home from Yellowstone last summer, I promised the kids it would'nt take more than 3 or 4 hours to see it all. LOL.. In all seriousness we spent about 1 1/2- 2 hours, Mr. Kresek has a TON of cool lookout/ fire fighting stories to tell.
I cant wait for your books! Thanks for posting your past trip reports, always fun to go back and re-read.. And yes, the FFLA is a great organization they really do alot of hard work trying to protect these gems of history.

Brian, I suppose there may possibly be some remnants of the foundations on Hood?? Everything I've read indicate that the cabin slid off the summit in 1941.

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » January 27th, 2013, 9:01 pm

shawjr wrote:Everything I've read indicate that the cabin slid off the summit in 1941.
Oh! Didn't know it fell off the mountain :D
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » January 27th, 2013, 9:15 pm

I can't call myself an enthusiast but I'd like to be =D. I really get along well with solitude, I think it'd be great to staff one of those. The views are fantastic, the reflection time is great and you can watch for fires! I've watched a few YouTube videos about lookout stations and people that man them - very interesting!
Hi!

shawjr

Post by shawjr » January 27th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Dustin DuBois wrote:I really get along well with solitude, I think it'd be great to staff one of those. The views are fantastic, the reflection time is great and you can watch for fires!
I know what you mean, I daydream about spending a summer in them too. :D I think my day job might frown on me taking the whole summer off though :?: