More Sasquatch!

Chat about non-hiking topics. The least serious of the forums on the site!
mayhem

More Sasquatch!

Post by mayhem » August 8th, 2012, 12:31 pm

From 8/6/12 Oregonian
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Chase

Re: More Sasquatch!

Post by Chase » August 8th, 2012, 1:53 pm

“No one in this world, so far as I know has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people" -- H. L. Mencken

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 8th, 2012, 3:04 pm

I find the search for Bigfoot to be very fascinating. I'm a skeptic, but also strangely hopeful that some conclusive evidence of Sasquatch is found someday.

Of course, I also believe in seabears, unicorns and jackalopes. I read proof in "Fake Science Monthly" that all three of those creatures really DO exist. :lol:

But I have watched this show several times, and I'll probably watch the new episodes.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

hlee

Post by hlee » August 8th, 2012, 5:30 pm

I'm kind of like Crusak. I think it would be awesome if any evidence were found, but I doubt it will. And I would think it would have by now. There would have been SOME conclusive encounter.

My problem with watching those shows about the search is that you know they don't find anything seriously conclusive or earth-shattering, otherwise it'd be splashed all over the news.

But I don't begrudge people searching. *shrug* Everyone's got to have a hobby.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

forester

Post by forester » August 8th, 2012, 6:17 pm

The other problem with that show is half the cast doesn't believe in bigfoot in the slightest. They're just actors playing characters. The other half of the cast are frauds. Doesn't take away from anyone's entertainment watching it or real people who actually search for the animal, tho. It makes me want to drill my brain out, however. I think I made it about 2 minutes into their episode that went up the McKenzie before every other word I was yelling should be bleeped out.

I've always thought that show and the others which preceded it would be much, much more entertaining if they had a real person who actually knew something about the outdoors and wildlife go along with them. Essentially, they need someone to make fun of their idiotness on air and explain to them that, "No, that wasn't a 'squatch', that was a coyote."

I think a lot of people know someone who's seen one at one time or another.

Excursionista

Post by Excursionista » August 8th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Evidence? Got it.

Exhibit A:
Trail cam photo of a bear Sasquatch in Alberta, 2012.
albertasasquatchtrailcam.jpg
albertasasquatchtrailcam.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Exhibit B:
Photographic evidence can be faked, but who made you the expert on Photoshop? I thought so.
582136_3634732993840_733679197_n.jpg
Exhibit C:
Close encounter inside a tent in Indian Heaven, 2010. I'm not sure where Sasquatch obtained the eyeglasses, and DNA evidence is inconclusive.
IMG_9302 Compressed.JPG
I've stated my views on this forum before. In a nutshell, Sasquatch existed in the recent past (perhaps as recently as 1900-1950 in some places) before the spread of white settlers and logging fragmented their habitat and led to extinction. There is not now, and never was, a large population of Sasquatch in the northwest, and certainly not east of the Rockies. Sasquatch now exists more as a cultural icon that gives meaning and depth to Northwest lives than it does as a real, living animal. TV shows and even some "serious" groups such as bfro.net are ratings and profit-driven, and are the reason why many people who experience unexplained phenomena in the wild either stay silent, or seek unwarranted publicity.

That said, just today I had a conversation with a coworker who admitted she and her husband had an encounter while hunting/camping along the southern Oregon coast a few years ago. Her husband also had an encounter while hiking near the Grand Canyon many years ago. While I doubt they experienced sasquatch, it isn't my place to deny it - and there's no doubt they experienced something unexplainable.

A great book on the subject is Robert Michael Pyle's "Where Bigfoot Walks." If it isn't evident, I'll admit to more than a passing interest in the subject. :)

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » August 9th, 2012, 2:12 am

:) It's easy for those who have never seen or experienced something to deny it? Four months ago while working in the Memaloose Lake area, something was observing me. For about thirty minutes, there were no bird activity, and there was a odd smell in the air. The smell filled the area I was working in. The odor smelled like sweaty, wet fur. It smelled just like how my horse did when he got sweated up after a long ride. And branches would break ever so often, about 50 yrds from my location. Bigfoot? I can't say. Bear, cougar, elk? Possibly. But how often do any one of these animals stalk or observe a guy that is 6'5"?

Two weeks ago, I noticed a few tracks that crossed the Bagby Hot Springs Trail 544 deep into the Bull of the Woods Wilderness. These tracks were human like, and measured about 16 inches long. How many barefoot hikers do you know that bushwack barefooted in deep brush? But I'm not saying it is bigfoot.

Forest Keeper

hlee

Post by hlee » August 9th, 2012, 5:18 am

I liked your post Jason, both the lighthearted aspect and the serious part. I haven't read too much about Sasquatch, so that is interesting to me that you think they did expect but are just extinct. Now I find I do want to read more.

ForestKeeper, :shock: My overactive imagination would have me sprinting in the opposite-ish direction.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » August 9th, 2012, 7:59 am

:) We just have to remember that Bigfoot is just like the mountain gorilla. Rarely seen, but still part of nature. I've been in the woods for nearly 35 yrs., yet I have yet to encounter a bear or cougar. Should I conclude that they are unreal? Yet I have come across bear and cougar scat and tracks frequently. Overcoming our fear of the unknown is a giant leap towards outdoor wisdom. ;) You won't see the good stuff; evidences of bear, cougar or bigfoot, or awesome bird and plant species for that matter, by hiking in populated areas. Hit the backcountry......then stop..look..and listen, especially around dusk and dawn, and you will be amazed at the myriad of animal and plant species that we don't usually encounter.

FK

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 9th, 2012, 9:08 am

There is no shortage of things that people believe in for which there is no verifiable evidence whatsoever. At least no one is fighting wars over Bigfoot.