Any first hike pics?

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
mayhem

Any first hike pics?

Post by mayhem » October 28th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Do any of you guys / gals that have been hiking most of your lives have any first hike pics:). That would be classic!!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

weathercrazy

Re: Any first hike pics?

Post by weathercrazy » October 29th, 2011, 5:12 am

These are pics from my first hike, which I'm glad you brought up this topic. I had never put this in my hiking stats!

I did this hike on September 20th, 2000.

It was 5.8 miles and about 1,300' elevation gain. It's when my love for Mt. Rainier started.

I hiked from Cougar Rock CG to Narada Falls. It was completely cloudy/foggy, which blocked all views of the mountain but forced me to enjoy the small things, like the beautiful fall colors etc.
Tilted Bridge.jpg
Dead Tree and Colors.jpg
Dewy Spider Web.jpg
Narada Falls.jpg
Paradise River 2.jpg

mayhem

Post by mayhem » October 29th, 2011, 7:03 am

Great!! I'm looking for my first real Oregon hike but I think it is now lost :).

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 29th, 2011, 8:08 am

Oh nice thread idea. I've got to get pictures from my first hike up Pike's Peak in Colorado back in 1980 - I was 15 years old at the time & we did the entire trail to the summit & back (26 miles) in one day. Guess that was my first 'loony' hike. :) I think my mother had a few pics from that trip in a photo album somewhere...
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 5th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Great thread idea! I'll have to check on the first hike -- it was to Serene Lake, and I've described the "mosquito in the Lowe book" evidence before. I'm pretty sure my dad took photos, so he might have some slides I can scan.

Meanwhile, here's my first camping trip: Frog Lake, August 1962. I was seven months old:

That's my oldest brother Pete hold me, next oldest brother Kurt holding our Springer Spaniel Cocoa, next oldest brother Mark on the other end, and my sister Carol in the glasses, next to me. I was the last of the siblings... apparently, mom and dad discovered birth control after I arrived...

-Tom :D

mayhem

Post by mayhem » November 13th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Way too cool!! I'm just a bit jealous :) I have only been really hiking 2.5 years :(

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » December 24th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Here's a pic of my first trail ride back in 1978.
1.jpg
My 4-H group from Redland had a group ride on one of the equestrian trails near Timothy Lake.I was 14 years old at the time. Notice the bell bottom pants? Groovy, like way out, man! :lol:
2.jpg
Then, this is a pic of my best friend Pete, sitting on the brick wall at Crown Point. This shot was taken in 1981. When I began driving in 1980, we frequently hiked the trails around Multnomah Falls every summer. When this pic was shot, there was a gift store at Crown Point where you could buy soda pop and snacks too.
3.jpg
And this last pic was taken when my friend Mike and I was off trail'n on Goat Mountain near Estacada in 1984. You can't see it but I'm holding a compass, trying to look lost. :roll:
4.jpg

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 2nd, 2012, 5:46 am

mayhem wrote:Do any of you guys / gals that have been hiking most of your lives have any first hike pics:). That would be classic!!
Wow, that would've been around 1970-72, or so. I don't think I even had a camera then.

This was my first peak experience, a few years later, though...

Mt. Hood Summit, June 1976
Karl
Back on the trail, again...