USGS releasing historical topographic maps

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Grannyhiker

USGS releasing historical topographic maps

Post by Grannyhiker » July 12th, 2011, 7:48 am

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2845

This should be a real aid to finding long-lost trails!
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Historical Quadrangle Scanning Project (HQSP) is in the process of releasing all editions and all scales of more than 200,000 historic topographic maps of the United States dating from 1884-2006.

For more than 130 years, the USGS topographic mapping program has accurately portrayed the complex geography of our Nation. The historical topographic map collection contains all editions and all scales of USGS topographic quadrangles. Files are high resolution (600 DPI) scanned images of all maps from the USGS legacy collection.

The historical topographic map collection includes all States and U.S. territories mapped by the USGS. The HQSP creates a master catalogue and digital archive for all topographic maps and provides easy access to the public to download this historical data to accompany topographic maps that are no longer available for distribution as lithographic prints.

Historical maps are available to the public at no cost in GeoPDF format from the USGS Store. These maps are georeferenced and can be used in conjunction with the new USGS digital topographic map, the US Topo.

Future plans include providing the historical maps in GeoPDF andGeoTIFF formats through The National Map in the fall of 2011. The GeoTIFFs can be imported into a Geographic Information System and overlain with other data sources.

More information about this product is available online.

Additionally, a video of the HQSP presentation given at The National Map Users Conference (TNM UC) in May is now available online.

Lurch

Re: USGS releasing historical topographic maps

Post by Lurch » July 12th, 2011, 10:33 am

Sadly it doesn't look like they'll be getting to Oregon or Washington until October :(

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 12th, 2011, 1:17 pm

SWEET! I love maps, both new and old. Can't wait! :D

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 12th, 2011, 3:08 pm

That's cool! And a long time coming, too -- it has been frustrating to deal with the various online land-grant college collections out there, to say the least. Having worked in the map room at one of those universities, I KNOW the goldmine of old maps they're sitting on, yet most universities make it fairly cumbersome to browse them (including both of my alma mater).

Tom

er0ck

Post by er0ck » July 18th, 2011, 2:29 pm

sweeeeeeet. :shock:

i love old maps.
bad knees rules everything around me.

invisiblesun

Post by invisiblesun » August 13th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Me too ! I love finding old logging roads with these maps to use for new hiking loops.