John B. Yeon

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Peder

John B. Yeon

Post by Peder » June 26th, 2011, 10:36 am

In The Columbia - America's Great Highway by Samuel Lancaster there is an interesting picture:
The Columbia by Samuel  Lancaster 1915 copy.jpg
The person in the white suit is John B Yeon. The picture was taken during the floral parade of 1915. So the next time you go by this trailhead, you will be excused if your head is full of roses and white suits!

Wikipedia says: "Jean Baptiste Yeon (also known as John B. Yeon) (1865–1928) was a Canadian-born timber magnate who was a prominent citizen of Portland, Oregon, United States. He financed the construction of the Yeon Building in Portland. Yeon was one of the principal financiers of the Columbia River Highway. The John B. Yeon State Scenic Corridor was named for him. He was the father of Portland architect John Yeon. He is interred in the family vault at Portland Memorial Mausoleum."
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Eric Peterson

Re: John B. Yeon

Post by Eric Peterson » June 27th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Is that colorized? Didn't know we had color photo's that far back, wow...

Peder

Post by Peder » June 28th, 2011, 9:03 am

Seemingly they already took color pictures long before that; see Wikipedia. The book has "twenty-five color plates and other illustrations; nineteen of them, by the new process of color photography..."
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 28th, 2011, 10:24 am

Just by eyeballing it, I would say that's a hand colored picture. They were far more common back in the day than actual color photography.