Gear of Times Gone By

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
ErinL

Gear of Times Gone By

Post by ErinL » June 1st, 2011, 5:22 pm

I love seeing the gear we all used to use in these older trip reports. I haven't had the chance to scan any of the pictures from my family's past camping trips, but I did take pictures of some of my parents' old gear when I was last home. I am sure I didn't tell them that I would be posting these pictures somewhere public, or else they probably would have DUSTED the backpacks. Ah well. At least the dust means that they have moved on.
CampStoveBox1.jpg
The old backpacking stove with box intact.
CampStoveBox1.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 6209 times
CampStoveBox2.jpg
This thing was heavy.
CampStoveBox2.jpg (59.36 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
CampStove1.jpg
Whoa! Complicated!
CampStove1.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
OK, so this is my parents' old backpacking stove. Did anyone else have these? I've never seen others, but that's probably more of a testament of others being willing to move on to better gear than these things actually being rare.

My parents never took me backpacking, but we took this on car camping trips. This thing is roughly the decibel level of a jet engine. It uses white gas. Priming it sometimes seems like more effort than it's worth. There are moving parts. It's pretty fancy considering the backpacking stoves people use now. The old man still has the original box. If I remember correctly, the instructions are in Swedish. Helpful.

Now, the backpacks. Excuse the dust!
Backpacks1.jpg
Internal and external frame packs
Backpacks1.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 6209 times
I guess the story behind these is that the Kelty is one of the first internal frame packs. Dad bought it in the 70's sometime. The other is the classic aluminum external frame pack. The zips on one of these packs are plastic.

Missing are the old tent (with snow sphincter) and the Camp 7 sleeping bag with stuff sack (and the pairs upon pairs of male short-shorts, Adidas shirts, tube socks, and Ultimate regulation Frisbees).

What about everyone else? Got some old gear to share?

VanMarmot

Re: Gear of Times Gone By

Post by VanMarmot » June 2nd, 2011, 6:15 am

I started with a Kelty pack and used to own (and use) one of those box primus stoves. Kept the pack for sentimental reasons for a long time after I'd stopped using it and moved on to internal frame. The stove (one of many over the years) was heavy and hard to light when cold. It had a design flaw that caused the joint between the tank and burner to crack and leak fuel - leading one day to a glorious mushroom cloud of burining fuel and dinner remains. At that point my climbing partner drop kicked it into the lake (later recovered) and I moved on to yet another stove. My current stove weights less than the plastic knob on this old one. My feet and back appreciate that I've moved on to stuff considerably lighter (and less explosive) than what was used back in the day.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 2nd, 2011, 11:31 am

I've got my dad's Coleman Peak 1 white gas stove, vintage unit from the late 70's. It's got the date stamp on it somewhere. Thing still works, too - I took it apart and cleaned it and the thing lit right up. I'll have to get a picture of it.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Lurch

Post by Lurch » June 2nd, 2011, 3:55 pm

Hey I've got one of those stoves and still use it! they're practically indestructible, field serviceable, and will run on anything remotely flammable.

awildman

Post by awildman » June 2nd, 2011, 7:48 pm

My buddy, Chuck, brought one of those stoves on last year's Trinity Alps backpacking trip. He's 70; the stove is at least 30 years old. We bought him an ultralight titanium canister stove for Christmas. Witnesses say that he just sat there and stared at it for at least 20 minutes.

We're going backpacking together again in a week. I'll let you know which stove he brings. :)

It's hard to tell in this photo, but his stove was blue. (And check out that pot!)
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 5th, 2011, 8:06 am

Great topic, Erin! :lol:

Allison, Chuck ROCKS! I'm totally digging his vintage water bottles -- the soft type that didn't contain hormone-altering PBA (or whatever the hell it was) that we were imbibing from the "modern" plastic bottles... of course, there was probably some OTHER chemical bleeding in from the old, soft bottles... :?

Okay, so at the ripe age of 49, I'm old enough to RESEMBLE this topic -- and will post some of the vintage gear that I've actually CARRIED ON A HIKE in my lifetime (keep in mind that I've been hiking since I could walk, and my first backpack was at age 5):

Let's start with squeeze tubes -- you filled these with peanut butter and/or jelly, then packed crackers to spread them on:

I think they still sell these, though I haven't used them since the 70s. They were famous for leaking out the bottom... and your crackers were reduced to fine crumbs after a couple days in the pack, making the "spreading" part tough...

Let's see.... army canteens! Complete with canvas sleeves (which you'd get wet to cool the water inside, neat, eh?)

Army surplus mess kit to go with the canteens:

By the way, for those who remember G.I. Joes, that company started out as an army surplus store, and along with Andy & Bax and an old chain called Wigwam, was where Portlanders got a lot of their camping gear.

Continuing the army surplus theme, some army tents -- my dad actually CARRIED a family-sized tent (pictured here) on his pack clear through the 1960s:

I carried a pup tent size a couple times, but switched to nylon by the time I was really doing much backpacking (age 11 or 12).

The ubiquitous poncho -- you used to see herds of these marching around on the trails in the Gorge in the wet months - they actually worked quite well as a loose, all-over cover to keep your pack dry:

My beloved Vasque boots -- I'm still waiting for today's "sustainable" generation to figure out just how consumptive it is to replace high-tech, highly synthetic footwear every 2-3 years. My last pair of leather Vasque boots lasted from 1976 until the mid-1990s, with periodic waterproofing (using Sno-Seal, of course):

But in deference to modern boots, the old Vasques were heavy, for sure. I guess that's why they lasted so long?

I had this particular GAZ Bluet stove -- used propane canisters, and a lot less scary than carrying/using white gas, that's for sure:

Yes, we carried these - also army surplus:

The Aussie Hat, though few wore this cool leather variety -- most of us wore canvas:

Dextrose "survival" tablets:

Supposedly, a the quickest source of energy for hikers -- but basically, just sugar.

I still carry one of these:

Many carried these -- a folding army shovel, and probably just as rusty here in the PNW:

Also army surplus -- and they really were back in the day -- cargo pants!

Cotton-poly blend... you can imagine what a pair of these weighed when fully soaked in Oregon rain..! :lol:

For around the campfire... a little luxury:

And yes, we actually ate these in the early 70s... sort of a preview of the Clif Bar, I suppose (and based on the Space Bars of the Apollo era):

If you didn't have a waterproof, glow-in-the-dark scuba watch (with many indicators that you had no idea how to read), you really weren't a serious hiker back in the day:

And finally, a Silva Compass -- one of the essentials before the age of GPS (and still a pretty good idea for when the batteries run out):

Okay, I think I've dated myself adequately, now....

-Tom :D

raven

Post by raven » June 5th, 2011, 11:58 pm

About early aluminum pack frames:

Old does not necessarily mean outdated. A friend, who flies uphill when she isn't being overly polite, prefers her early 1960's Kelty external frame pack, which she started using as a teenager, over alternatives. As she has demonstrated to me repeatedly, her Kelty is lighter than the fairly light internal frame packs I've had her consider as possible replacements. She bushwhacks well carrying a load in it -- even with light rock climbing en route -- so has never found a reason to consider downgrading to something newer.

The original Keltys were simple -- and pretty light as a result. Every improvement to them seems to have added weight. If that early pack were recast in modern materials, it would both a lightweight wonder and capable of carrying a large load. The first ones were all green, as I remember red came later, and had minimalist hip belts. My friends' Kelty is significantly older than the blue one pictured in the original post, but to her that pack is timeless.

Sometimes gear disappears from the market place because it's out of fashion. But, to me, after years of using well designed internal frame packs, the Kelty feels like a straight jacket when carrying less than about forty pounds.

Btw,

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » June 6th, 2011, 11:54 am

I bought a new Kelty backpack two or three years ago - external frame. I'm sure the folks (and it's most of them) I encounter carrying in internal frame pack roll their eyes, and assume I'm carrying a 1970s pack, but http://www.kelty.com/c-12-external-fram ... e of these, and they're an excellent value, too.

One of the conspiracy theories behind the rise of the external frame pack is profit margin: they're not only easier and cheaper to make, but they actually sell for more, since they (originally, anyway) looked more "serious", and less like a recreational pack. There's probably some truth to that -- like in the 1970s, when consumers starting buying geared racing bikes, or point-and-shoot photographers carrying a Nikon SLR around their neck for the status.

For me, it's my inner Felix Unger: internal frame packs are the hiking equivalent to a junk drawer to me, and I can't stand the thought of not being able to organize my stuff into all those cool pockets. Plus, I'm not a minimalist hiker -- just the opposite, I carry the kitchen sink (and typically end up bailing out my less-prepared hiking companions). I don't hike far enough to need an ultralight pack -- 10 miles is a big day for me with a backpack. Seven or eight miles is even better! For me, the Timberline Trail is a four-day trip... not a one-day run!

Tom :lol:

raven

Post by raven » June 6th, 2011, 12:31 pm

My friend's pack is probably little more than half the weight of the lightest pack and frame shown on that page, Tom. Also, it would be much less expensive to make her pack than any shown, because it is so simple -- it lacks such creature comforts as a padded waist belt. Much room for weight savings even with her pack -- but a carbon fiber pack frame with a lightweight high tech fabric pack would not be inexpensive to make.

My friend always packs lightly; has a gift for it. She once soloed about 80 miles in 4 days, wearing that Kelty; four 20 mile days, each completed in (by her report) about 8 hours, so she could laze around and enjoy the new location. (The pack wasn't a problem, but her shoes turned out to be slightly tight.) On the right backs -- no longer mine -- the Kelty packframe isn't only suited for short days and setting up base camps.

Roy

Post by Roy » July 1st, 2011, 10:06 pm

raven wrote:About early aluminum pack frames:

Old does not necessarily mean outdated. A friend, who flies uphill when she isn't being overly polite, prefers her early 1960's Kelty external frame pack, which she started using as a teenager, over alternatives. As she has demonstrated to me repeatedly, her Kelty is lighter than the fairly light internal frame packs I've had her consider as possible replacements. She bushwhacks well carrying a load in it -- even with light rock climbing en route -- so has never found a reason to consider downgrading to something newer.

The original Keltys were simple -- and pretty light as a result. Every improvement to them seems to have added weight. If that early pack were recast in modern materials, it would both a lightweight wonder and capable of carrying a large load. The first ones were all green, as I remember red came later, and had minimalist hip belts. My friends' Kelty is significantly older than the blue one pictured in the original post, but to her that pack is timeless.

Sometimes gear disappears from the market place because it's out of fashion. But, to me, after years of using well designed internal frame packs, the Kelty feels like a straight jacket when carrying less than about forty pounds.

Btw,
I used to feel this way until I got my Arc'teryx pack a couple of years ago. I am older and maybe I have crossed to the dark side, but I am a very comfortable Darth Vader :lol:

Roy
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura