Gear of Times Gone By

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Roy

Re: Gear of Times Gone By

Post by Roy » July 1st, 2011, 10:25 pm

Splintercat wrote:Great topic, Erin! :lol:

Allison, Chuck ROCKS! I'm totally digging his vintage water bottles -- the soft type that didn't contain hormone-altering PBA (or whatever the hell it was) that we were imbibing from the "modern" plastic bottles... of course, there was probably some OTHER chemical bleeding in from the old, soft bottles... :?

Okay, so at the ripe age of 49, I'm old enough to RESEMBLE this topic -- and will post some of the vintage gear that I've actually CARRIED ON A HIKE in my lifetime (keep in mind that I've been hiking since I could walk, and my first backpack was at age 5):

Let's start with squeeze tubes -- you filled these with peanut butter and/or jelly, then packed crackers to spread them on:

I think they still sell these, though I haven't used them since the 70s. They were famous for leaking out the bottom... and your crackers were reduced to fine crumbs after a couple days in the pack, making the "spreading" part tough...

Let's see.... army canteens! Complete with canvas sleeves (which you'd get wet to cool the water inside, neat, eh?)

Army surplus mess kit to go with the canteens:

By the way, for those who remember G.I. Joes, that company started out as an army surplus store, and along with Andy & Bax and an old chain called Wigwam, was where Portlanders got a lot of their camping gear.

Continuing the army surplus theme, some army tents -- my dad actually CARRIED a family-sized tent (pictured here) on his pack clear through the 1960s:

I carried a pup tent size a couple times, but switched to nylon by the time I was really doing much backpacking (age 11 or 12).

The ubiquitous poncho -- you used to see herds of these marching around on the trails in the Gorge in the wet months - they actually worked quite well as a loose, all-over cover to keep your pack dry:

My beloved Vasque boots -- I'm still waiting for today's "sustainable" generation to figure out just how consumptive it is to replace high-tech, highly synthetic footwear every 2-3 years. My last pair of leather Vasque boots lasted from 1976 until the mid-1990s, with periodic waterproofing (using Sno-Seal, of course):

But in deference to modern boots, the old Vasques were heavy, for sure. I guess that's why they lasted so long?

I had this particular GAZ Bluet stove -- used propane canisters, and a lot less scary than carrying/using white gas, that's for sure:

Yes, we carried these - also army surplus:

The Aussie Hat, though few wore this cool leather variety -- most of us wore canvas:

Dextrose "survival" tablets:

Supposedly, a the quickest source of energy for hikers -- but basically, just sugar.

I still carry one of these:

Many carried these -- a folding army shovel, and probably just as rusty here in the PNW:

Also army surplus -- and they really were back in the day -- cargo pants!

Cotton-poly blend... you can imagine what a pair of these weighed when fully soaked in Oregon rain..! :lol:

For around the campfire... a little luxury:

And yes, we actually ate these in the early 70s... sort of a preview of the Clif Bar, I suppose (and based on the Space Bars of the Apollo era):

If you didn't have a waterproof, glow-in-the-dark scuba watch (with many indicators that you had no idea how to read), you really weren't a serious hiker back in the day:

And finally, a Silva Compass -- one of the essentials before the age of GPS (and still a pretty good idea for when the batteries run out):

Okay, I think I've dated myself adequately, now....

-Tom :D

Sno Seal, Bluet stoves, food sticks, Wigwam good times for sure. I still use my Bluet stove but I just can not defend those old boots. I still have a pair of Raichle boots I got in the early eighties. Can not kill them I pull them out when I have to use a shovel for yard work nothing works better :D

It could be if my knees were not in the shape they are I could use the old boots . Na the new shoes and boots are just more comfortable JMHO.

Roy
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

er0ck

Post by er0ck » July 18th, 2011, 2:47 pm

i love this old stuff! i use a coleman lantern and dual burner, dual fuel stove for car camping. runs on white gas or gasoline and i refill the tanks with <1/2 gallon MAYBE once a year.

i'd prefer some alcohol stuff for greenness and longevity of fuel sources, but they are more modern, and less ubiquitous back in the day so far more $$.

i got both the stove and lantern at yard sales. lantern is 1972, stove is 1969
not my images. just found them...
bad knees rules everything around me.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 18th, 2011, 3:48 pm

er0ck wrote:i love this old stuff! i use a coleman lantern and dual burner, dual fuel stove for car camping. runs on white gas or gasoline and i refill the tanks with <1/2 gallon MAYBE once a year.

i'd prefer some alcohol stuff for greenness and longevity of fuel sources, but they are more modern, and less ubiquitous back in the day so far more $$.

i got both the stove and lantern at yard sales. lantern is 1972, stove is 1969
not my images. just found them...
those look exactly like the stuff I use for car camping. I've had it for 20 years and it's still going strong. And the white gas comes in handy for pyrotechnics when things get slow. :shock:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 18th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Wow... that Coleman stove brings back a RUSH of memories! I can vividly hear my dad pumping the little primer, smell the gas just before it's lit, hear the sound of the burners, and even hear the clanking of those little side wind shields... love it! My dad had some basics that were camping fare on the stove: beans and wienies, mac and cheese, macaroni casserole, chili and spaghetti. That was pretty much it, but it always tasted good.

More essentials from back in the day....

Stove-top toaster:

Coffee percolator:

Aluminum salt and pepper shakers:

Popcorn popper with sliding cover:

Ubiquitous Eveready flashlight:

And the ultra-cool, corresponding lantern:

(only dad got to carry the lantern, of course...)

-Tom :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 18th, 2011, 8:45 pm

I've got my dad's old Coleman Peak 1 Model 400 stove:
peak 1 model 400.jpg
There is a number on the side of it - looks like a date stamp of 12-79? if so, this thing is ancient. I know he bought it in 1980, so that's likely the manufacture date.
peak 1 date stamp.jpg
Unfortunately the last time I tried to gas it up and light it, the thing spewed white gas everywhere. I think it probably needs new o-rings or something. Maybe someday I'll break it down and see if I can find a repair kit...
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

er0ck

Post by er0ck » July 19th, 2011, 6:19 am

Crusak wrote: Unfortunately the last time I tried to gas it up and light it, the thing spewed white gas everywhere. I think it probably needs new o-rings or something. Maybe someday I'll break it down and see if I can find a repair kit...
the valve looks just like their standard lantern/stove valve, as do the rest of the parts. even the generator looks the same, albeit oriented(orientated) differently. did it spew from the pressure cap, perhaps? the valve should be pretty durable. those peak1 units are basically just a "shrink" of the camping stove i posted above.

does it have a orifice cleaning "wiper"? (it'll say something like "down to light" near it)
bad knees rules everything around me.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 19th, 2011, 5:01 pm

er0ck wrote:
Crusak wrote: Unfortunately the last time I tried to gas it up and light it, the thing spewed white gas everywhere. I think it probably needs new o-rings or something. Maybe someday I'll break it down and see if I can find a repair kit...
the valve looks just like their standard lantern/stove valve, as do the rest of the parts. even the generator looks the same, albeit oriented(orientated) differently. did it spew from the pressure cap, perhaps? the valve should be pretty durable. those peak1 units are basically just a "shrink" of the camping stove i posted above.

does it have a orifice cleaning "wiper"? (it'll say something like "down to light" near it)
I just went to coleman.com to check their parts availability. I found out that several 'model 400' 1-burner stoves have been made over the years (not surprising) and the parts lists for each varies slightly. I sent an email to their customer service, and hopefully they can help me pick the right one.

It'd be fun to get that stove going again, and take it out on some trips.

ROTFL check out this link to backpacker (from 1979) - the packs and yes, the Coleman Model 400. Ah the good old days!
Backpacker magazine, circa 1979
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Vintage Hiking Gear

Post by kepPNW » August 2nd, 2012, 6:01 am

Seeing that aluminum framed backpack of Tom's, with the Wheat Thins strapped on, sure brought back some memories. How about a thread with photos of "equipment" from days gone by? I'm not too far along yet with my scanning, but can salt a few in as I uncover them.

Like the <cough> high-tech trekking pole(s) of yore, or that highly functional hip belt...

At about 8000' on the way up Mt. Fernow, North Cascades WA, June (or July?) 1983

What old shots do you have that bring back the smiles, or make you wonder how you ever survived, now?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 3rd, 2012, 5:11 pm

Karl, I'm merging this topic with a classic thread on the subject... seems like a good time to move it back to the top!

And yes... I used to carry around a carved hiking staff that I made at Scout camp... ;)

Tom :)

Guy

Post by Guy » August 3rd, 2012, 6:13 pm

3 (wet) days in the Jefferson Wilderness 1986 with my buddy Eddie..

Equipment: a Piece of black plastic & a box of matches.

Yes I'm ashamed to say those are Hams Beer cans but in my deffence this was the pre Micro brew era....

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors