Eliot Glacier in 1989 - Then & Now

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Grannyhiker

Re: Eliot Glacier in 1989 - Then & Now

Post by Grannyhiker » July 3rd, 2011, 11:31 am

If we keep getting snows like last year and this year, we might see glaciers stop receding--we might even see a small advance!

pyles_94

Post by pyles_94 » July 12th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Thats what I keep thinking, Granny....

Screw global warming.... We have had bad long winters 3 years now. I'm just not believing it!

I wonder if the glaciers will grow. That would be pretty incredible.
Jamey Pyles

viking

Post by viking » December 30th, 2011, 9:33 pm

just looked at this post for the first time.
I teach ice climbing and we go up on the Elliot and White River among other glaciers on Mt Hood.
18/19 years ago the Elliot had 3 separate ice falls. The lowest one had some good climbing up to 30- 40 ft high, its gone. The middle section had 50 ft climbs, now we are lucky to find 25+ft. The upper is still large but unstable in the center so not much visited (then and now). The glacier, '89 and 09, still extends to close to the lower portion of the photos, the ice is in places covered with 10 or more feet of rock. When I first stepped on the White River glacier 15 years ago we had a crevasse we could drop into 50 some feet to where it choked off with unknown amount of glacier below that. Every year that I have been back there the crevasse got shallower, last time there 3 yrs ago it was ten feet deep with the rock floor showing. Side slopes, rock outcrops, lowest elevation of free ice has all changed. We are defiantly loosing glacier fast.