Old School Southwest: Canyon De Chelly - June 1984

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Splintercat

Old School Southwest: Canyon De Chelly - June 1984

Post by Splintercat » April 14th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Here's a set from June 1984, when my wife and I took our old Toyota Corona on a 3-week honeymoon trip through the Four Corners area. Along the way, we spent a couple days at Canyon De Chelly, which remains my favorite overall mix of slickrock, sandstone canyons, desert river and cliff dwellings. It's really a magical place, and still home to Navajo Indians.

These photos are from a trail that descends from a canyon overlook to the famous White House Ruins, the most expansive cliff dwellings in the park. This view is from partway down the canyon rim, looking toward Chinle Wash, at the bottom of the canyon:

Lots of cactus blooming that year, thanks to a wet winter:

Looking across at one of the ruins -- dwarfed by the sandstone walls of Canyon De Chelly. I believe this one is Mummy Cave:

Along the White House trail, there's a neat tunnel, carved behind a slab of fallen sandstone (with my better half at the far end):

We spotted our first collared lizard of the trip on this hike -- and he (she?) was quite patient, posing for me for at least five minutes:

My wife inevitably reading the guidebook on the way down -- I think her expression says "THIS is a short hike?" (alas, the marriage has lasted 27 years, now, so she must have forgiven me...) :D

Down at river level, the route crosses Chinle Wash, with some really magnificent views of the canyon walls -- you can see hikers crossing the wash in the distance:

The White House ruins come abruptly into view after a short walk through mesquite and cottonwood. The lower complex is fenced off because the local Navajo residents actively graze goats and other livestock in the canyon:

A closer look at the White House ruin, showing some of the construction details, plus rock art on the wall below the upper complex (a human figure, with a roadrunner below):

After hiking out of the canyon, we stopped by the canyon overlook of Spider Rock, the most famous landmark at Canyon De Chelly, and spiritually significant to the Navajo. It's one of the more stunning sandstone towers in the Four Corners area -- and my recollection is that it stands close to 900 feet tall, so sort of a Beacon Rock on a diet... :)

If you're down in the Four Corners country, it's definitely worth visit Canyon De Chelly. It's a bit off the main national park circuit, but relatively close to Chaco Canyon (which is by far the best Anasazi complex in the Southwest -- my favorite ruins), so makes for a good combo.

Not sure why I didn't step in front of the camera for this set, but picture lots of hair and a bright red sunburn... :lol:

-Tom

Peder

Re: Old School Southwest: Canyon De Chelly - June 1984

Post by Peder » April 15th, 2011, 6:43 am

Great Tom! That is a (hot) blast from the past. I was there in 1987 and obviously need to go back, as I have never visited Chaco Canyon. Your wife really has the "what has this fool gotten me into now?" look on her face.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

geographics

Post by geographics » April 15th, 2011, 8:20 am

Last edited by geographics on January 2nd, 2012, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ErinL

Post by ErinL » April 15th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Thanks for posting!

Every time I've been on the internet since seeing this report earlier today I've been looking at maps and websites of the area. Thanks for inspiring another trip for the shortlist.

Did anyone see the Ken Burns Nat'l Parks documentary? I thought the bit about Canyon de Chelly was one of the better parts of the whole thing. What a fascinating area.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 15th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Yeah, I love that series, Erin -- I bought the DVD because I like just having it on in the background when I'm working on stuff. Ken Burns is a genius, and he gets better all the time. Also LOVED "The West" (...though I haven't shelled out for that series... yet...)

-Tom :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 15th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Tom,

Thanks again for a great "past blast"! What a great area - you really got out a lot back in the day.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 15th, 2011, 8:19 pm

That was the miracle of being a graduate student, Don! Let's see... perpetually broke college student, but with lots of time to travel... or a steady paycheck but too little time to spend it... now, that DOES seem to be the core dilemma in this life..!

:lol: