Old School Twofer: Wahkeena & Elowah - November 1988

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Splintercat

Old School Twofer: Wahkeena & Elowah - November 1988

Post by Splintercat » April 10th, 2011, 1:30 pm

This one will sound pretty familiar -- a two-fer hike in the Gorge at Wahkeena and Elowah Falls in November 1988. My friend (and former roommate) Jon was along for the hike, and appears in a bunch of these photos.

First up, Jon at the Wahkeena approach -- not much has changed here over the years:

Okay, one big change, I suppose -- the giant, ugly stump that has been adorning the falls since the mid-70s was still growing up on the canyon walls in 1988 (still can't figure out why the USFS didn't cut the entire stump out when they cleared the trail), making for a much nicer view from the bridge:

Jon relaxing on the stone wall, probably thinking about 80s stuff... like moused hair, clove cigarettes and Banarama:

Looking down from the falls toward the trailhead -- and this does look different to me. I think the brush on the west side of the creek has filled in a LOT since this was taken, since it now obscures the view somewhat from below:

Okay, now we're over at McCord Creek, and Jon is standing at the base of Elowah Falls - it even looks like the same bridge, 23 years later. It might have been built when Trail 400 was constructed, so may have been relatively new in this photo:

I don't actually recognize this spot, but its somewhere in the Elowah vicinity -- maybe on the east side of the bridge?

...and finally, from the upper trail -- this is the section of railing that was repaired recently, after years of missing a couple sections. I would say that the falls was more visible then from the trail, too -- I think you have to lean over the edge quite a bit, now, to actually see the entire falls:

I like the fact that the McCord Creek trail, in particular, has been so well cared for by volunteers and the USFS -- it looks better today than it did back in 1988, IMO. It's also more traveled, but that's a good thing - also IMO. The main difference is the trailhead, which had a major makeover sometime in the 1990s, as part of the Columbia River National Scenic Area phasing in.

Okay... there's your trip back into time for 1988..!

-Q-

Re: Old School Twofer: Wahkeena & Elowah - November 1988

Post by -Q- » April 11th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Thanks Splintercat, I am really enjoying these old-school trip reports :)

Not a lot of water coming down Elowah that November huh?? That barely looks like a trickle compared to the normal flow

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 11th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of that, Q -- I don't know if 1988 was a drought year, though I do remember several very dry, mild winters in the early 80s, so maybe that trend continued? Not sure. Glad you like the old-timey photos..! :D

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » September 7th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Awesome Tom. I really like the last shot. Contemplative 80's at its best :-)

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 8th, 2011, 11:59 am

Yep, right out of a Simple Minds video... "...don't you... forget about me.... hey, hey, HEY!" Jon's hair even looks kinda spikey in that last shot..

:lol:

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » October 10th, 2011, 10:14 am

Whew, that 80s look is CLASSIC!!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 10th, 2011, 10:36 am

Tom, thanks for another great blast-from-the-past! Wish I had more time or I'd do a few, too. Maybe later as the weather slows me down.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller