Three Sister Loop - Sept. 1979

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Don Nelsen

Re: Three Sister Loop - Sept. 1979

Post by Don Nelsen » April 11th, 2011, 8:12 pm

awildman wrote:Did you see many other backpackers / hikers on this trip? Horsepackers?
I don't remember seeing anyone else at all on this trip but I may just not remember this far removed in time. I'm sure that there were darn few - if any! For sure, there were none once we left the trail north of Green Lakes and all the way back to the TH. However, Sept 21-24 was very late in the "normal" hiking season for that area.

As for my encountering Horsepackers on the trails: They are very rare in my experiences. I've seen them once in the Wallowas on a later trip, once on one of the trails down into the Grand Canyon, once in the Mt. Jefferson area and once in the Mt. Adams area and that's about it. I imagine in the high country feed for horses could be a problem as natural forage is pretty sparse the higher you go.

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Roy

Re: Three sister loop, Sept. 1979

Post by Roy » April 12th, 2011, 7:01 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
retired jerry wrote:33 miles in 4 days?

These days it takes you one day to do that.
Ha! - Thanks Jerry, but not with a 50 lb. pack!

Don
We did carry some heavy packs back then. I also had a pair of Raichlie boots in the early eighties and always ended up in running shoes. Those boots were more miserable than the heavy packs.

What a joy it was to leave it all at camp and explore!

Thanks for the sharing this.

Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura