Three Sister Loop - Sept. 1979

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Don Nelsen

Three Sister Loop - Sept. 1979

Post by Don Nelsen » April 6th, 2011, 5:39 pm

A black and white trip report - who knew!!!

Some of my friends and I got together for a loop hike in the Three Sisters area in late September of ’79. Four of us had climbed Mt. Hood together the previous May and knew we were all in about the same condition so mapped out a pretty tough schedule over a four day period.

We crammed everybody and everything into my car for the short trip up to the TH from where we all met up in Bend and started out on the trail mid morning, Friday, Sept. 21, 1979:

On the way to the TH as we passed Mount Batchelor Ski area:

Here we are on the way: Me, Scott, Dave and John.

A little farther up the trail we get a good view of the South Sister: Scott, Dave, Rob and John:

It was only about 4 ¼ miles from the TH on the Cascades Lakes Hwy to our first night campsite at Green Lakes so we all decided to knock off Broken Top to make it a day. This was my first hike with a heavy pack so I was glad to get it off and make my way up the peak unladen! (We were all a little tired but that was mostly due to the weight of a short case of beer in most of our packs!)

None of us had ever climbed or even hiked in the area before so it was all new to us – we were pleasantly surprised to find a well defined hikers trail as we gained the ridge NW of the summit. I held back to get this shot as the group made the final pitch: Of course, in nothing but running shoes and shorts, we all had to be careful of the very sharp rocks!

The summit pinnacle was a bit daunting but we all successfully scrambled up and I set my camera on a rock for this pic: From left to right, my brother Dave, Rob, Scott, me and John:

I was out of film so one of the guys took pity on me and gave me a roll of color film after that summit shot - wow!, modern technology!

We were up with the sun the next day and broke camp for the next leg up to Chambers lakes between the Middle and the North Sister:

This next pic taken on a similar trip taken in 1995: My brother Dave on the shore of Green Lake:

On the way cross country to Chambers Lakes:

Once camp was set up my brother and I decided to climb the Middle Sister. We were not too prepared for how cold it turned out to be but managed just the same. I had grabbed a shirt before I left and it came in handy on the summit! A T-shirt at 10,000 feet in late September just did not do the trick. (My legs were fine, though, as I remember. - I noted in my log that the wind was about 20 MPH and the temperature was about 40 degrees!!)

The next morning was really cold but otherwise the weather was great and we headed down toward the west to intersect the PCT and a return to the TH.

Here we are on the way down toward the PCT: Scott, me and Dave:

Another pic as we continued on our trek:

And another:

We finished off the third day with over 12 miles of hiking and camped just a couple miles from the TH. The next day our motley crew headed out and headed back to the grind of our jobs all the time thinking of what would be our next adventure. We would all get together again in the Wallowas, but that is another story…..

Approx map of our journey. Total approx. 33 miles and 9,800’ vertical.

Last edited by Don Nelsen on April 6th, 2011, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Re: Three sister loop, Sept. 1979

Post by Splintercat » April 6th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Great report, Don! Some fine looking frame packs there, too -- and nylon tents! Very modern..! :D

And by the way, you haven't change a bit!

Tom :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 6th, 2011, 6:16 pm

33 miles in 4 days?

These days it takes you one day to do that.

Interesting cutoff from a bit North of Green Lakes to Chamber Lakes. How was that?

I would go down and then take the Camp Lake trail back up, but that is a lot longer with a lot more elevation gain.

I'll have to think about doing that sometime.

Dig the shorts and hair-dos, and are those Kelty packs?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 6th, 2011, 6:59 pm

retired jerry wrote:33 miles in 4 days?

These days it takes you one day to do that.
Ha! - Thanks Jerry, but not with a 50 lb. pack!

Don

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 6th, 2011, 7:02 pm

retired jerry wrote:Interesting cutoff from a bit North of Green Lakes to Chamber Lakes. How was that?

I would go down and then take the Camp Lake trail back up, but that is a lot longer with a lot more elevation gain.

I'll have to think about doing that sometime.

Dig the shorts and hair-dos, and are those Kelty packs?
The cutoff worked well as I remember - a bit of up and down but above the tree line so really open country. Yep, old Kelty frame packs and for sure I had "better" hair back then LOL!

dn

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 6th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Splintercat wrote:Great report, Don! Some fine looking frame packs there, too -- and nylon tents! Very modern..! :D

And by the way, you haven't change a bit!

Tom :)
Tom,

Well, we did what we could! That old equipment was pretty good compared to what our parents had introduced us to when we were kids so we were pretty happy with it. I lived with that for the next twenty + years. As for not changing - whew, I wish!!

don

Charley

Post by Charley » April 6th, 2011, 7:49 pm

I love these trip reports! Maybe if I'm lucky someday I'll be doing trip reports from way back, and impressing people with how we made do with the limited technology of the 2010's.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 6th, 2011, 9:15 pm

That's right, Charley -- in the future, hikers will wear jet packs and fly up the trails..! No more blisters or soggy feet..! ;)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 7th, 2011, 5:21 am

Splintercat wrote:That's right, Charley -- in the future, hikers will wear jet packs and fly up the trails..! No more blisters or soggy feet..! ;)
Anti-gravity packs, or anti-gravity boots! I'm in.
:D

Don and Splintercat: I'm really enjoying these blasts from the past! Please keep them coming.
;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

awildman

Re: Three Sister Loop - Sept. 1979

Post by awildman » April 10th, 2011, 8:30 am

Did you see many other backpackers / hikers on this trip? Horsepackers?
Rambling on at Allison Outside