Perdition Trail is open...

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
pablo

Perdition Trail is open...

Post by pablo » March 15th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Well, if this were around May 29, 1921 it would not only be open, but new. Over on Trail Advocates Donovan Harding mentioned that Multnomah County Library has the Oregonian on line from ~1850-1987 (I believe they have the 1987-present also but that is another database). The pages are scanned and the web interface supports text search - which is how I found the following - not the entire article and I'm not sure what constitutes fair use here as there are copyright notices. You can download PDF - really nice interface to the database:
perdition.GIF
perdition.GIF (11.31 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Lots of interesting stuff, I was able to find more tidbits on Henry Waespe.

Looks like a great resource...

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

chameleon

Re: Perdition Trail is open...

Post by chameleon » March 15th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Good find Paul! Lonesome corner...I'm guessing that's the overlook, right? Seems like a place they might have had a little cable encircling. Cool stuff.

pablo

Post by pablo » March 15th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Lonesome Corner is one of 3 viewpoints mentioned in this article, the other 2 are "Alter of the Gods" and "Flat Fir" point. No photos...

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

chameleon

Post by chameleon » March 16th, 2011, 8:42 am

Hmmm. Interesting. I wonder which is which. Other than the one prominent rocky overlook of Multnomah, I can't think of a viewpoint worthy of its own name on the route... There are certainly good views all along the way. It would be interesting to know what state the forest was in when it was built. I suppose a couple of the obvious viewpoints could be overgrown now.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 16th, 2011, 10:07 am

Great find, Paul! Though it sounds like a long way off, I'm thinking that maybe a centennial target date for reopening the trail might be a practical way to get this project moving, again (given that it's going to be spendy). I sure miss it.

Tom