Gardner's Point (circa 1920s)

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Splintercat

Re: Gardner's Point (circa 1920s)

Post by Splintercat » December 22nd, 2010, 7:47 pm

Thanks for the great feedback, all -- the comments suggesting this photo was taken from a point further east sent me to Google Earth for a better look at the perspectives. First, a look at pre-Bonneville topo map shows how different the river shore was in the vicinity of Mayer State Park at the time this brochure was printed:

Next, looking at the photo from the old brochure, then a Google Earth view, you can find the point on Sevenmile Hill that looks to be the old viewpoint -- first, the brochure view:

Next, the Google Earth view:

The key is the grassy, sloped ridge in the immediate foreground that the railroad ducks behind -- this is part of a prominent ridge that identifies the viewpoint by interpolation. It's the ridge under the word "Forest" on this modern topo, and I've also labeled the corrected location of Gardner's Point:

Google Earth shows farm roads running along the entire rim, and it looks like Jane walked right across this spot on her hike. It would be a great place to search with a metal detector -- probably some artifacts to be found up there!

Tom

Guy

Post by Guy » December 22nd, 2010, 8:32 pm

Very cool Tom, now I have somewhere else I need to go!

Here is some interesting info on Ortley:
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/or/ortley.html
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 22nd, 2010, 11:03 pm

Thanks, Guy... not much of a town, but hey, it's on the map!

Here's another view of what I believe to be Gardner's Point (or Gardners Point), from a more familiar perspective:

So, Jane's route took her right over the top of it!

Tom