Warren Falls... LIVES!

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Stevefromdodge

Re: Warren Falls... LIVES!

Post by Stevefromdodge » December 13th, 2010, 9:20 am

Has anyone seen a copy of the original justification for the 1930s change? I've been curious for some time what hazards the road faced and what motivated the original engineers to make the tunnel.

That might be the primary stumbling block to restoring the waterfall. If it made safety sense in the 30s, imagine what the legal folks might think in our current safety-overcautious mode.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 13th, 2010, 9:41 am

I've researched that quite a bit, Steve. The tunnel came after the HCRH was built, and wasn't part of the original drawings. The oral history says that the falls were bypassed because of their proximity to the highway, but in this section, it wasn't all that close to the falls. But it could equally be the case that some other reason existed for the tunnel.

The current configuration sends Warren Creek to a low basin and culvert under I-84 about 1/3 mile to the west -- one big enough to walk through. However, in summer, the stream doesn't even flow to the culvert. This time of year, it forms a forest wetland in the low area, at the entrance to the culvert, before flowing through to Lindsay Pond. That's actually the biggest hurdle for the restored HCRH, since it will have to span that low area with a bridge structure.

-Tom

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » December 13th, 2010, 1:12 pm

It really seems like there's a LOT of loose rock at the base of the falls. I've wondered if maybe the area immediately above the falls is subject to landslides. That would explain the large pile of loose rock. It might have periodically run farther down and buried the highway, similar to the current mess where Perham Creek crosses the old road. By eliminating the water at the top of the falls, maybe it was felt that the land would stabilize.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 13th, 2010, 1:51 pm

That could be, Steve. What puzzles me is when the rock appeared. If seems like it would have to be before the weir/tunnel, as there just wouldn't be enough flood events of sufficient force to push that much stuff over the top. That's what makes me think it might be from the tunnel itself (at least a part of it), since there isn't much indication of blasting spoils at the lower end of the tunnel. As far as stabilizing, it reminds me a bit of Wahkeena Falls, where there was a major rockfall in the late 60s or early 70s that loaded most of the loose material that now exists between the footbridge and the highway. Surprisingly, it hasn't moved much, though the creek now flows over it (as opposed to under it). Summit Creek is also kind of similar, and still flows under the rubble above the freeway.

The other complicating factor at Warren Creek is the radical change the river has gone through over the past 100 years. If you look at maps from 1916 and today, you can see the combined effects of moving the railroad (and freeway) onto fill in the river, and of the Bonneville Pool backing up the water level:

The old pond created by Viento, Starvation and Cabin creeks is completely submerged, while a new "Lindsey Pool" was created by the railroad fill, and now has Lindsey, Wonder and Warren creeks draining into it. The new alignment of Warren Creek brings it into the pool roughly aligned with Wonder Creek on the old map. An interesting detail is the structure shown on the old map, approximately where Hole-in-the-Wall Falls is, today -- or possibly Wonder Creek. There's a prominent road grade over in that area, but who knows what it was for... if only the trees could talk!

-Tom

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » December 13th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Well, quite by accident I ended up at Warren Creek Falls (looong story..) The display of columnar basalt is awesome up there. It would be a very photogenic falls if the creek was returned to its natural streambed.

Verticle

Low angle

Middle
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 13th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Awesome, Brian - still flowing! Very cool...

-Tom :D

markesc

Post by markesc » December 13th, 2010, 8:37 pm

Love the vertical lines of that place!!!!!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » December 18th, 2010, 6:10 pm

I've been curious for some time what hazards the road faced and what motivated the original engineers to make the tunnel.
I've always been curious about this too. I've always had a hard time visualizing how Warren Falls could have threatened the old highway. Although, I kind of forget where the highway would have been in relation to either of the falls. In that section wasn't it obliterated by the interstate?

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » December 20th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Hey Tom and everyone....I've been a big fan of the former Warren Falls for years also and have spent some time trying to unravel the need to divert it just a few feet away from it's former channel.
The only explanation that i've ever found to "hold water" for me is that in severe winter conditions Warren Falls would spray a coating of ice over the HCRH as it splashed down to its base...and thus, if the angle of it's descent was altered, then the splash would be different and not a problem for freezing over the HCRH. I have no idea where I got this tidbit from, but it seems to make some sense, whereas other explanations don't seem to hold up. Additionally, the winters around 1915-1930 were way worse than our present ones, given they were the tail end of the interstitial (?) mini-Ice-age.
All you waterfall lovers know how a waterfall often kicks its mist zone in a constant and predictable direction (most often directly at your lens, haha)...and until we see Warren rage again, we may not know how it kicks its spray...but I'm sure the trees that have grown up in the 80 years would dissipate any potential problen the mist may cause.
Anyhow, the idea occurs to me Tom, that what a fabulous idea it would be to plan a re-creation of Warren Falls for the 2016 HCRH celebration. How better to "make a splash" for publicity purposes, etc, than to welcome back a long-gone waterfall!! I imagine it as sort of a "Mother Nature's Ribbon Cutting" sort of festival. The media would eat it up, the PDX folks would come en masse, the trail gnomes would dance!! Wooohooo
I'd love to help the effort...I think the timing would be right for this grand gesture, and give the "powers that be" enough time to digest the idea. After that let's get to work on the Perdition!!.......scott

chameleon

Post by chameleon » January 16th, 2011, 6:06 pm

I got in to check out your falls today, Tom. Pretty cool.
warren falls.jpg