Mooney Airplane Crash Site Found on Mt. Hood (Part 2)

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Guy

Re: Mooney Airplane Crash Site Found on Mt. Hood (Part 2)

Post by Guy » October 18th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Hi Peder, hopefully your route there was a little more direct that ours was :D ..

So it looks like you knocked both Hood crash sites out in the same weekend, Mississippi Head has had to go on my 2011 list!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chase

Post by Chase » October 20th, 2010, 4:47 am

Peder

Post by Peder » October 20th, 2010, 8:12 am

Guy wrote:Hi Peder, hopefully your route there was a little more direct that ours was :D ..

So it looks like you knocked both Hood crash sites out in the same weekend, Mississippi Head has had to go on my 2011 list!
Yes, currently the water in the Eliot Branch is low, so we just came that way. It took us just over one hour from the Cloud Cap Inn to the Timberline trail on the west side of the creek; travel time included the construction or improvement of about 10 cairns by my son... The itinerary of pretty straight forward for those experienced with off-trail travel. It is way shorter and easier than your "indirect” and quite alpine route to the crash site. Looks like you were borderline in having to break out your ice axes and crampons...
And yes, I did the Mississippi Head loop Friday and I can warmly recommend it. Yesterday, I did your scheduled October 31 hike - also a great hike... I love this weather!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Chase

Post by Chase » July 27th, 2012, 2:01 pm

I found some articles about the Mooney crash. Interestingly, on November 28, 1975 another plane, piloted by Tom Meek, disappeared in the gorge. It was found the following October on Mt. Adams by some hunters. So in the articles below you'll see Meek's name high-lit because I found some of the articles just by searching for his name.
The Mooney crash on Mt. Hood was piloted by Tom Selegy (also spelled Selegey in some articles!).

From the Bulletin December 2, 1975

From the Bulletin December 5, 1975

From the Register-Guard December 4, 1975

From the Oregonian December 6, 1975

Same article

Calendar from 1975 for handy reference:

My old video (moved from my old YouTube account):

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 27th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Thanks!

Interesting - "Estacada Sewer Assessments chalenged in class-action suit" - sounds similar to today :)

Chase

Post by Chase » July 27th, 2012, 3:28 pm

retired jerry wrote:Thanks!

Interesting - "Estacada Sewer Assessments chalenged in class-action suit" - sounds similar to today :)
Yeah, I cropped the articles funny if I found something interesting near it. Below there's a lovely ad for office supplies!

(Are people having the articles not appear on their screen? They did not appear when I looked back at my post, but obviously Jerry saw them)

Here's one I forgot to post, which features a description of the plane and the wing number. From The Bulletin December 3, 1975:

And, since it is difficult to read, I enlarged part of it:

And a photo with what's left of the wing number: