Mooney Airplane Crash Site Found on Mt. Hood (Part 1)

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Don Nelsen

Re: Airplane Crashes and Eliot Crossings

Post by Don Nelsen » August 1st, 2010, 5:37 pm

Hi Fred and Thomas,

Great report and great find! I'll be heading up there as soon as possible to check it out so thanks for everything.

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

awildman

Post by awildman » August 1st, 2010, 7:37 pm

Very cool, Fred and Thomas!

Without being too morbid, do you know the history of the SAR? Did one occur immediately or did they leave the crash and pilot up there until the following summer?
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Fred

Post by Fred » August 1st, 2010, 8:03 pm

Apparently they recovered on 12-5-75, just four days later. Here's a link to what I know about it.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=50947&key=0

AlexanderSupertramp

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » August 1st, 2010, 10:03 pm

You guys never disappoint. Fantastic report!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » August 2nd, 2010, 2:12 pm

Thank you for the plane crashes report. That was very interesting. I believe it was the first crash you came across that I had seen a number of years ago from Barrett Spur. That sighting had been in the fall on a low snow year (early 1990s)and the white pieces of the plane looked like snow where it couldn't have been at that time of year. In our binoculars we could see the pieces of plane. I contacted the Hood River Sheriff and they sent a helicopter in the air to see if it was a plane that had recently crashed. The sheriff contacted me the next day and said it was a known crash from the 70s. That would match the time line of your report. Now I feel I know the rest of the story, thank you.