Old map link

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
K.Wagner

Old map link

Post by K.Wagner » October 29th, 2013, 7:08 am

Just found a fun link that has lots of links to old maps. It is geared to mining history, but you can search by county. They seem to be largely Metzger Maps. Historic maps
Here is a map of the Mt Margaret BC, from 1956. Mt Margaret Map

I found it really interesting that it shows the ownership of the sections. As you might expect, it shows NP Railroad and Weyerhauser with alternating sections. It also shows that the City of Seattle had the summits of Minnie Peak, Mt Venus & Whittier Peak! (Has to be a story about that came about! I tried a Google search, and came up empty) There is also a section that just says "School Lands".

It also shows the actual mining claim boundaries all along the Green River. Never knew there was SO MUCH mining activity in there.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Lurch

Re: Old map link

Post by Lurch » October 29th, 2013, 8:39 am

Fun!

As a semi random historical factoid, when Oregon was admitted to the Union in 1859, sections 16 and 36 of every township were set aside for "the use of schools". It also designated 72 sections for State University, and 10 sections for Public Buildings.

Could you imagine if schools were actually given 1 sq mile and you were never really more than 6 miles from one? Good on paper, not so good in reality I guess..
Last edited by Lurch on October 30th, 2013, 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 29th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Lurch,

That's an interesting bit that I had never heard before.

Did you notice that on that map, sections 16 & 36 are the ones labeled "School Lands"? In fact, just looked at several other maps, (if you back up the link, turns out they have it sorted by a number of features, including summits), and almost everyone shows sections 16 & 36 as school lands. I learned something tonight!

Did you know that pre-1980, the summit of St Helens was actually NP Railroad property?

Now, about that City of Seattle land; which on the next map to the S, shows that the City held several full sections on the S side of St Helens ........
Kelly

Skamania 231

Lurch

Post by Lurch » October 30th, 2013, 9:22 am

Nope, just a random factoid that pops in my head when I see oldschool T&R maps. To my knowledge it was never *really* done, even though technically it's still on the books.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 31st, 2013, 6:53 am

Am continuing to learn here....... who would have thunk it??

Found this link .... http://ti.org/statetrusts.html

Turns out the idea of setting aside section 16 as a school land trust goes back to 1785, but Ohio was the first to actually do it when it was admitted in 1803. In 1849, section 36 was added. Then in 1896, sections 2 & 32 were added. When Alaska was added, 1958, the township formula was dropped in favor of a more contiguous plan.
Kelly

Skamania 231