Shellrock Mt. wagon road ?

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
lunatick47

Shellrock Mt. wagon road ?

Post by lunatick47 » August 30th, 2009, 11:35 am

Does anyone know if the old wagon road continues east from Shellrock Mt, and how to find it?

Don Nelsen

Re: Shellrock Mt. wagon road ?

Post by Don Nelsen » August 30th, 2009, 6:39 pm

It does, but later road grades for powerlines and logging make it hard to figure out just exactly where it was. I've tracked just about everything I could discern might have been an old road and here is a map showing the obvious wagon road (the one finished in 1876):

Here is another map showing what I think is the continuation to the east in solid blue:

Both maps derived from Garmin 60CSx tracks.

I could be wrong, but the second map shows what appears to me to be the oldest of the grades and therefore the original track of the first wagon road.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

lunatick47

Re: Shellrock Mt. wagon road ?

Post by lunatick47 » August 31st, 2009, 6:06 pm

Don,
thanks for the reply. I was up on the powerline in the old wagon road historical area and followed an old roadbed west for a bit then it turned south and followed Lindsey Creek uphill high above the creek till I ran out of time. I plan on going back up there before winter. Thanks again for the reply & the maps. Joe.