Packwood Lake Resort

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
christabrews

Packwood Lake Resort

Post by christabrews » July 24th, 2023, 7:03 am

While camping at Packwood lake this weekend, a Forest Ranger came and talked to our group. He told us that our campsite was where the Packwood Lake Resort camp store once stood. He described the resort and it sounded very similar to Olallie Lake - a rustic resort with cabins to rent and a small store that sold snacks, drinks and fishing gear. There were also boats to rent. At some point (he thought 70's), it all burned down and was not rebuilt. Did anyone visit the resort and get some pictures? If so, I'd love to see them!

bobcat

Re: Packwood Lake Resort

Post by bobcat » July 26th, 2023, 8:35 am

The Seattle Times says the permit was not renewed by the USFS:

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archiv ... ug=2996250

So maybe it was intentionally burned down.

christabrews

Post by christabrews » July 27th, 2023, 6:56 am

Oh yikes, that's not great. Sounds like it wasn't being run as well as Olallie Lake resort. Maybe there are some who think it shouldn't exist either, but I enjoyed it when I stopped there on the PCT last year.

drm

Post by drm » August 9th, 2023, 6:27 pm

The comment in the article that not so many people go there any more - I don't think that is accurate. I saw more than 30 people there a couple years ago, and just look at that parking lot - it's massive. I must fit a couple hundred cars. It makes Ramona Falls parking look small.

christabrews

Post by christabrews » August 21st, 2023, 12:46 pm

Yeah, it was pretty crowded when we were there.

If I could do it all over again, and had an unlimited budget for new toys, I would tow a canoe in using an ATV on the OHV trail, paddle to the other side of the lake to get away from everyone and set up there. Then use the canoe for fishing. But I don't see this plan happening anytime soon.