CLIMBING ROUTES

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Limey

CLIMBING ROUTES

Post by Limey » November 13th, 2020, 9:12 am

Interesting post on Historic Hood River today.
http://historichoodriver.com/
I'm not a mountain climber so does anybody know how many of these routes are used today?

Chip Down

Re: CLIMBING ROUTES

Post by Chip Down » November 13th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Cooper Spur remains popular. I read a statement from U$F$ or Crag Rats or SAR (can't recall which) saying that Cooper Spur is a very popular route to die on.

Wy'east is popular, approached from Meadows or Timberline.

Among the rest, Sunshine is probably most popular.

The others are difficult. They were never popular, and never will be. (They may very well be fun interesting climbs, but beyond the reach of most.)

Incidentally, the North Face is one of the better known routes among non-climbers, due to a well-publicized disaster in December 2006.

edit: I noticed a missing route: Straight up Coe Glacier. I'm told it's quite an adventure, up a steep narrow chute, unlike any other glacier route on hood.

Limey

Re: CLIMBING ROUTES

Post by Limey » November 14th, 2020, 10:16 am

Thanks Chip. I was curious because I live in the small community of Mt Hood and that is the view of the mountain that we get. I've often looked at it and tried to picture how many climbing routes there might feasibly be.