"Oh Boy Forest Camp" and also alternate Round Lake trail on map

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Swede

Re: "Oh Boy Forest Camp" and also alternate Round Lake trail on map

Post by Swede » November 17th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Bobcat,

Do you have any idea why there was a phone line between Round Lake and the Rho Ridge trail? The 1938 map shows it:
Round Lake Trail 1938 USFS1.jpg

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 18th, 2020, 8:28 am

Swede wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 6:00 pm
Do you have any idea why there was a phone line between Round Lake and the Rho Ridge trail?
I haven't seen any explanation. Obviously the line was there before the road was built. My best guess is that, back in the day when the whole area was open to grazing, there may have been some kind of monitoring crew at the lake (counting sheep was the main reason for many of the original guard stations) although it's clear there wasn't a cabin there.

longboard16

Post by longboard16 » June 10th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Hopefully, the FS will open up the roads so we can access Round Lake. Even hiking down from the upper road would be doable, if the trail is visible. Guess I am one of the old timers who use to just drive up to the lake from the Collowash River starting back in the late 60’s until the road got wash out. After that it was a much longer drive up the Clackamas or the back way through Detroit.

christabrews

Post by christabrews » June 20th, 2022, 6:36 pm

I might have found a very indirect route, avoiding the burn closures, that would get me to where the dirt piles are on road 6380. Backpack in, then perhaps have the whole place to ourselves!? Would be awesome. I love catching those big brown trout.

We went there back in 2020, not long before the fires, and it was not the quiet place I remember. Lots of non-outdoorsy types trying to find entertainment during the pandemic. Also, the fact that the place is designated as a "campground" but there's at least 0.1 miles of walking until you get to the first campsite, is misleading to those who aren't in the know and are expecting to drive up and just start unloading their gear at a campsite. There was a couple I encountered in the parking area who were trying to drag a wheeled cooler down the trail. One wheel fell off not far down the trail, the guy sheepishly grabbed it and kept dragging the cooler on one wheel ahead of me. Then he hit a root and the second wheel came off, and he said, "you can go ahead..."

Apparently there was also a ruckus in the middle of the night, some group drunkenly trying to use the little aluminum boat that is moored there. We slept through it, but another camper angrily accused us in the morning of being the cause of the commotion and also stomping through her campsite in the middle of the night.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't go back there on a weekend again.

longboard16

Post by longboard16 » June 20th, 2022, 8:09 pm

Yes that would be one of the ways and probably the easiest. Agree that you can reach it and skirt the closed area albeit it would be a long drive. The dirt piles are just before Ogre Creek, that wipe out the old road and they decommissioned that short part before and after the creek. Not sure how brushy the decommissioned part is but once you get through it, then you are walking on the road a mile or so to the trailhead. Guess I should not have named the lake as I always refer to it as my secret lake.

That boat was placed there in 2019 and was still there in 2020. Seen the “owners” use it twice. I just paddle around in my float tube and almost always do it on weekdays to avoid any crowd. I need to get there to scatter some of my dogs ashes and of course to catch a couple of trout.
Attachments
17545468-E5A4-4B61-91C5-D2F3485D5FC7.jpeg

christabrews

Post by christabrews » June 21st, 2022, 8:01 am

Sorry for your loss! He looks like such a good boy.

Going totally off topic here, that is quite the float tube. Way fancier than what we use. If you're ever looking for a float tube that you can put in a backpack, I highly recommend this one: https://wildernesslitefloattubes.com/index.html
It's a very small business. I think it's pretty much one guy and he makes all the gear himself. I've hit rocks, stumps, all kinds of things in it, and it's never popped. Definitely worth the money.

longboard16

Post by longboard16 » June 21st, 2022, 10:46 am

That is my pontoon boat and while it has been to the secret lake by carrying half of it in at a time, I normally use a float tube, albeit not the lightweight version you referenced. Thanks for the link to it as it sure could be useful on some longer carries. If I reach the lake I’ll let you know.