Historic Pics of MSH

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
drm

Historic Pics of MSH

Post by drm » May 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

As a relative newcomer to the PNW (13 years now), I am posting an open request for pre-eruption photos from the blast zone area.

justpeachy

Re: Historic Pics of MSH

Post by justpeachy » May 18th, 2020, 1:29 pm

There are some good photos in this book. I was able to browse through the first 33 pages by using the Look Inside feature on Amazon. Looks like you can also preview a good chunk of that book on Google Books.

The Forest Service has an album of Mt. St. Helens photos here. Looks like there are a handful of pre-eruption photos.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 18th, 2020, 2:03 pm

I've never been able to find a pre-eruption photo of MSH as seen from Portland. When it comes to PDX photos, Hood gets all the attention.

oldandslow

Post by oldandslow » May 19th, 2020, 2:53 pm

I have a lot of pre-eruption photos. Most of them are not very good and neither is my scanner.
St Helens from Mt. Margaret.jpg
This photo was taken from the top of Mt. Margaret the summer before the eruption. My three kids and I were camped there.
Spirit alake rev.jpg
This was from the end of the lake.
Harmony Falls.jpg
Harmony Falls is now under water but the general location can be seen from an overlook on Windy Ridge.
Mtn Norway Pass.jpg
Photo from Norway Pass.
The black and white photos were taking on a backpacking trip to Panhandle Lake around 1951.
Attachments
Mtn  Norway Pass.jpg

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » May 19th, 2020, 3:59 pm

oldandslow wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 2:53 pm
This photo was taken from the top of Mt. Margaret the summer before the eruption.
I took your Mt. Margaret photo and lined it up with one of mine from the same spot. (It's not a great photo because it was October and the sun was low and directly behind the mountain.) Then I traced the pre- and post- profiles of the mountain and the shoreline of Spirit Lake... and I made a GIF:

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 19th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Nice Adam

I spent a summer at the Boy Scout camp. Went to Mt Margaret pre and post eruption. Summit pre and post.

Wasn't into photography then.

I remember taking the boat over and seeing all these logs on the bottom of the lake. Result of the previous eruption.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » June 2nd, 2020, 7:47 pm

I finally found a picture of MSH from Portland; it was included in one of the Oregonian's 40th anniversary articles a couple weeks ago:

MSH from Pittock.jpg
"A cloudless sky gives a couple a fine view of Mount St. Helens from the grounds of the Pittock Mansion, just two weeks before the mountain's eruption on May 18, 1980. (The Oregonian)"

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 5th, 2020, 1:35 pm

adamschneider wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 3:59 pm
I took your Mt. Margaret photo and lined it up with one of mine from the same spot. (It's not a great photo because it was October and the sun was low and directly behind the mountain.) Then I traced the pre- and post- profiles of the mountain and the shoreline of Spirit Lake... and I made a GIF:
That's awesome inspiration! While I've certainly seen the before/after lines for the mountain countless times, I don't think I've ever seen the same for Spirit Lake! Very cool, and a wonderful while away of more than a few minutes. :)
adamschneider wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 2:03 pm
I've never been able to find a pre-eruption photo of MSH as seen from Portland. When it comes to PDX photos, Hood gets all the attention.
It's not Portland, but here's one I took (from Mount Hood ;)) in 1985 1975...

Last edited by kepPNW on June 5th, 2020, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » June 5th, 2020, 2:15 pm

kepPNW wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 1:35 pm
It's not Portland, but here's one I took (from Mount Hood ;)) in 1985...
Does Not Compute :P

Aimless

Post by Aimless » June 5th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Those clear cuts sure look like 1985, but the mountain seems strangely whole.