1933 pamphlet for a Salem Chemekatans outing to Mt. Hood

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Aimless

1933 pamphlet for a Salem Chemekatans outing to Mt. Hood

Post by Aimless » January 7th, 2020, 5:45 pm

I have scanned a 1933 pamphlet describing the delights to be had by joining up with the Salem Chemeketans hiking group for a lengthy trip to Mt Hood, with the group camping at Lost Lake. My mother and her family went on this trip. I also found some old photos from that trip that included glimpses of the old wooden lookout tower that used to be at the summit of Mt. Hood. (Note the prices on page 4.)

I hope this works. There are six pages. It may double up the attachments. Enjoy!
page 1.jpg
page 2.jpg
page 3.jpg
page 4.jpg
page 5.jpg
page 6.jpg
Attachments
page 3.jpg

goingrouge

Re: 1933 pamphlet for a Salem Chemekatans outing to Mt. Hood

Post by goingrouge » January 7th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Just wow! So refreshing to see this and be reminded that well-intentioned ethics have always been and will always be bountiful in certain circles. Thank you for this glimpse into another time. Now where are those photos?!?

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 8th, 2020, 11:39 am

One photo from the summit of Mt. Hood:
1933 August - Summit of Mt. Hood.jpg
A different lookout from the same trip:
1933 August - Chemeketan hiking group.jpg

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 10th, 2020, 8:05 am

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
A different lookout from the same trip
Hmmm, I wonder which one this is. Based on the trip itinerary it would make sense for it to be Lost Lake Butte, but that spot had a tower, not a ground cabin.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 10th, 2020, 8:48 am

I figured that if anyone would recognize that lookout, it would be you, justpeachy. I have another Oregon lookout tower photo from 1936. My father-in-law who was a forestry student at Oregon State and served in a fire lookout that summer. My wife may know its location, so I'll ask her first before I post it.

Edit: According to my wife, she recalls her dad working one summer as a forest ranger in the area of Newberry Crater, but not as a fire lookout. The photo may or may not be from that summer or that vicinity, but it is from that general time frame and the lookout is very clearly shown in this photo.
1936 fire lookout.jpg

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 11th, 2020, 8:39 am

I figured that if anyone would recognize that lookout, it would be you, justpeachy
Challenge accepted! ;) I think I figured out what lookout that was: Indian Mountain. The rocks in the foreground of your photo, Aimless, look like the rocks in the photo on this page.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » January 11th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Bravo! Well done! :D

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » January 14th, 2020, 6:44 pm

This is pretty remarkable stuff. Thanks for posting. For some reason it's really blowing my mind that there was a fire lookout on the summit of Hood. Wanting to learn a little more about this led me to this cool page, with great photos and some historical press accounts of the lookout being opened, the establishment of phone lines back to Portland, and its eventual decline. Crazy interesting stuff.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 15th, 2020, 7:06 am

sgyoung wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Wanting to learn a little more about this led me to this cool page
Yes, Ron has put a TON of work into that site and it's a really great resource for lookout history and photos!

poppacouch

Post by poppacouch » January 16th, 2020, 11:57 am

Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed reading these historical texts - especially the tenor of the language. People were so incredibly courteous and gave very explicit credit to whomever. What a fun time to look back on.

I also am amazed that there was a lookout at the summit. And all materials carried on their backs. And they LIVED up there for such extended time. Awesome.