Old Campground?

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
DannyH

Old Campground?

Post by DannyH » November 11th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Did the Starvation/Defiance loop a few weeks ago and was admiring the new seating area at Hole-In-The-Wall Falls. Just east of there on the new paved trail between the trail and I-84 was this old stonework. Anyone know what it is from?

"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Webfoot

Re: Old Campground?

Post by Webfoot » November 12th, 2016, 1:04 am

I believe that is (one of) the oven(s) Limey was concerned about.

Limey

Post by Limey » November 12th, 2016, 9:20 am

It is generally believed that these were bake ovens used by either the railroad builders or the highway builders. There is a second one close by that has pretty much collapsed in on itself.

DannyH

Post by DannyH » November 12th, 2016, 9:34 am

Thanks for the information! There is also a spring near the new Moffett Creek bridge (if I remember correcty) with an old stone work basin. I saw it a couple years ago after coming down from Wauneka Point with Peder. Wondering if that was built at a similar time by the railroad crews? I can't seem to find a picture of it, but it was talked about here.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewt ... 30&t=18816
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 13th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Oh, I've looked for that, but I guess I imagined it looking a little different. Looks like a guy could pass twenty feet from that and not even notice it.

pcg

Post by pcg » November 14th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Did the giant ant hill survive the "improvements"?

DannyH

Post by DannyH » November 21st, 2016, 10:27 am

The giant ant hill still stands as well! It's right above the new trail, looks almost like a sculpture.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 27th, 2016, 11:37 am

Limey wrote:It is generally believed that these were bake ovens used by either the railroad builders or the highway builders. There is a second one close by that has pretty much collapsed in on itself.
I think you are correct. There are a couple near the railroad along the Santiam.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir