On the Trail of Ancient Man

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
windmtnpete

On the Trail of Ancient Man

Post by windmtnpete » April 4th, 2016, 2:17 pm

I have been doing some family history and discovering lots of hidden gems. Turns out that my (great-great) Uncle Charles had a significant role in American history, including being part of the Central Asiatic Expedition with Roy Chapman. Here's that blog....

http://berkeyarchives.blogspot.com/
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

windmtnpete

Re: On the Trail of Ancient Man

Post by windmtnpete » April 4th, 2016, 4:05 pm

windmtnpete wrote:I have been doing some family history and discovering lots of hidden gems. Turns out that my (great-great) Uncle Charles had a significant role in American history, including being part of the Central Asiatic Expedition with Roy Chapman. Here's that blog....

http://berkeyarchives.blogspot.com/

Next time you hear the argument native Oregonian vs. import? Let them know that the original humans in Oregon were actually imported from China. YES.... if you are human, you are ALL imports!!

Actually, the Chinese were imports from Africa (probably). Technically, the only real native land we humans we can truly call "home" is Africa.

― J.R.R. Tolkien

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 4th, 2016, 5:43 pm

windmtnpete wrote:Technically, the only real native land we humans we can truly call "home" is Africa.
Which makes us all African Americans. (When I don't put down "Human" in the race blank, that's often the next logical choice.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » April 4th, 2016, 6:27 pm

what about the indigenous tribes in S. America? Some of them still have never had contact with modern man (supposedly).
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » April 5th, 2016, 6:06 am

Koda wrote:what about the indigenous tribes in S. America? Some of them still have never had contact with modern man (supposedly).
Homo sapiens evolved in Africa, and migrated outwards from there, crossing the land bridge to this continent during the last ice age. (So, yeah, they're African Americans, as well!)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » April 5th, 2016, 6:42 am

I know it's a controversial subject to talk about dams here. My (great-great) uncle didn't build the dams, he just made sure they were screwed down properly on a solid foundation. Nobody seems to have known the damage the dams would do to the environment.

However, I just wonder what kind of world this would be if not for the power generated from the dams in the northwest. Would we have won World War II if not for the ship building in Puget Sound? The factories that built the weapons of war all depended on that power. The dams were perhaps the reason we don't all speak Japanese now. It would certainly be a much different Japan than what we see today..... it would be a much different world today if not for these dams.

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Koda

Post by Koda » April 5th, 2016, 7:29 am

kepPNW wrote:
Koda wrote:what about the indigenous tribes in S. America? Some of them still have never had contact with modern man (supposedly).
Homo sapiens evolved in Africa, and migrated outwards from there, crossing the land bridge to this continent during the last ice age. (So, yeah, they're African Americans, as well!)
:idea: ah yes, that slipped my mind yesterday.

Koda

Post by Koda » April 5th, 2016, 7:30 am

windmtnpete wrote:I know it's a controversial subject to talk about dams here. My (great-great) uncle didn't build the dams, he just made sure they were screwed down properly on a solid foundation. Nobody seems to have known the damage the dams would do to the environment.

However, I just wonder what kind of world this would be if not for the power generated from the dams in the northwest. Would we have won World War II if not for the ship building in Puget Sound? The factories that built the weapons of war all depended on that power. The dams were perhaps the reason we don't all speak Japanese now. It would certainly be a much different Japan than what we see today..... it would be a much different world today if not for these dams.

If back then (as the technology was being invented and built)even we figured out how destructive energy sources are environmentally and actually cared, we would have still built them because our enemies would anyways, essentially we are forced to.

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » April 14th, 2016, 7:01 am

I wonder if Woody Guthrie might change a few lyrics on his Dam building songs if he knew what damage those damn dams created?

― J.R.R. Tolkien

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 14th, 2016, 7:45 am

"the original humans in Oregon were actually imported from China"

that thought has occurred to me

so, is the first human that occupies a particular space entitled to it for all time?

or if a group is strong enough to boot someone else out, too bad?

what if there's no other space for them to go to?

what if the developed world emits carbon dioxide that raises ocean levels that makes some areas uninhabitable. Does the developed world owe anything to the people living there, helping them find another place to live?

difficult questions