awesome Mt Hood (and gorge) 1920s trail guide

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
kepPNW

Re: awesome Mt Hood (and gorge) 1920s trail guide

Post by kepPNW » December 25th, 2014, 2:37 pm

jime wrote:
Had a similar question, as I tried to figure out what peak was then called Squaw Mountain (p17). The map shows it SE of Old Baldy, and the only peak on my maps that seems close would be one labeled Githens Mountain (4494'), which I honestly don't recall anyone else ever mentioning. Could also possibly be Tumala Mountain (4711')?
Yes, Tumala Mountain is the new official name for the old Squaw Mountain. The road going up that way was renamed as well. Not sure when. My 1986 Mt Hood NF map shows it as Squaw Mtn (4771'). It's a nice short hike up there to the old lookout site and good view of Mt Hood.
Cool. Wasn't one I was even aware of. Now I'll have to plan on getting there once views become possible again. Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 25th, 2014, 3:36 pm

So, does Tumala mean woman in some "Indian" language?

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 27th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Kinda old, Jerry -- but I posted a blog article on this in 2009:

Unfinished Work at Tumala Mountain

Thanks for the link, Payslee -- I have an older PDF of this booklet, but it wasn't scanned very carefully. This version is much nicer!

It captures a window in time when the "Oregon National Forest" existed. It was created when the Cascade Forest Reserve was broken up into units in 1908, and covered basically what is not the Mount Hood National Forest. The name switched to the current "Mount Hood..." in 1924.

There were some interesting politics going on at the time between the USFS and the National Park Service -- part of the ongoing rivalry between the agencies. The Forest Service was watching new national parks form with some degree of alarm, as many were carved out of USFS holdings. So, in the late teens and 20s, the USFS went on a recreation binge, building campgrounds, picnic areas, permitting sites for summer cabins, etc., in an effort to demonstrate that the USFS could offer the same public recreation opportunities as national parks. What I love about this booklet is that on page 26 under "The National Forest", the bottom line rolls out:
The National Forest is a large, government-owned timber farm, in charge of a forest supervisor, who may be likened to a farm superintendent... in charge of large subdivisions of immense timbered domain included within the boundaries of the forest... The growing stands of timber are carefully managed by the Forest Service so as to ensure the largest possible mature crop perpetually to the Nation..."
Some things never change! ;) The hubris behind that thinking (then and now) is truly staggering... as clearly, things have worked out swimmingly since all that "management" began! :roll: On the plus side, I do like that the botanical section simply describes the key tree species without the usual "uses" that typically come with forestry guides.

Tom :)

aircooled

Post by aircooled » February 25th, 2015, 7:31 pm

This is priceless! I love the advice in here!

- Do not build camp fires against trees or logs or in places where they may escape
and get beyond control.

- When a man is lost or injured and needs help, a signal by shooting should be
given. The lost and injured signal is the firing of a gun three times, with an interval
of 60 seconds between, and one single shot 6o seconds later. If no answer is
received, this signal should be repeated after an intermission of 5 minutes.

- If it is desired to preserve the head (deer) for mounting, the following simple method
is satisfactory. Never cut the animal's throat if you wish to mount the head. If
it is desired to bleed him, stick a knife in the breast at the base of the neck. To
remove the skin from the head and neck, first slit the skin from one horn to the other
and carry the cut around the base of each horn. ... etc..

- A recipe for frying pan bread: "If a deep pan and plenty of frying fat are available, it is best to immerse the
material completely in boiling grease"

- A 7 by 7 foot, 10-ounce canvas, when folded, will make a ground cloth and an extra cover and is also useful as a pack cover. (Wow - that would be a heavy pack cover!)

- Getting to some spots was a lot harder! "Jefferson Park... is 23 miles by trail from Detroit. Permelia Lake is i 6 miles by trail from Detroit."