Retrospective Nov 3, 2002: Crevasses on Mt Hood’s South Side

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
BurnsideBob

Retrospective Nov 3, 2002: Crevasses on Mt Hood’s South Side

Post by BurnsideBob » December 13th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Retrospective Nov 3, 2002: Crevasses on Mt Hood’s South Side Glaciers

Some years we have an early snow season, some years not. Fall 2002, which followed a below average snowfall winter, saw a very bare Mt Hood, presenting an ideal opportunity to explore.

Nov 3, 2002 dawned clear and cold. I set out for Hood at dawn, passing a field in Canby where sprinkler irrigation ran overnight:

The trip to Hood was uneventful and I headed up the climber’s route on the east side of Timberline Ski Area. The air was cool, not cold, with a gentle breeze. I soon passed the foot of the White River Glacier, which, bare of snow, did look like a genuine glacier.

Above the Palmer Snow field cat line, I tried walking on the exposed ice because it was smoother and more consistently sloped. No dice—I could barely stand on it with the aid of trekking poles—so I stayed to the gravel and rocks.
There had been a snow of maybe 10-12”. This had melted away except where fallen rocks blocked the sun. There were dozens of rocks on snow pillars.

Moving higher, I came even with Illumination Saddle, the Palmer Snowfield now far below.

I had never been to the saddle before, so what the heck? The remnant glacial ice didn’t look too bad—so I picked my way across the top of the Zig Zag Glacier towards the saddle.

The entire spring/summer/fall rock fall accumulation sat exposed on the glacial ice. There were lots and lots of rocks that had tumbled down from Yocum Ridge, Hawkins Cliffs, Crater Rock onto the Zig Zag Glacier; the largest the size of small cars.

Even the officially designated camping area at Illumination Saddle had rock in it. Clearly not as much as the glacier itself, but here and there were tent crashers.

I climbed up the Saddle’s exposed rock, getting this view of crevasses on the Zig Zag Glacier.

Of course, having come this far, I had to down climb the other side and put foot on the Reid Glacier.

Yocum Ridge’s upper meadows looked attactive—a parkland I vowed to visit.

Illumination rock loomed over the saddle:

Reid Glacier headwall:

Photo Stitch of Reid Glacier From Illumination Saddle:

I retraced my route back to the South Side Climber’s route, which I resumed climbing up to the big boulder abreast of Crater Rock:

I ate a snack in the boulder’s shelter, then descended along the White River Glacier.

I saw several pools of now frozen melt water along the glacier’s upper reaches:

Two days later, Nov 5, 2002, the first big snow hit, ending hiking but beginning ski touring. Hard to believe that was 12 years ago.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

Charley

Re: Retrospective Nov 3, 2002: Crevasses on Mt Hood’s South

Post by Charley » December 13th, 2014, 11:02 pm

I had no idea that there were crevasses around Illumination Saddle. I know people visit the rock a lot, and don't usually hear that they rope up.
Are they still a problem?
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

BurnsideBob

Re: Retrospective Nov 3, 2002: Crevasses on Mt Hood’s South

Post by BurnsideBob » December 14th, 2014, 10:53 am

Charley, I haven't been back to Illumination Saddle, so I don't know. The glacier has thinned, so it undoubtedly moves less per year now than 2002, reducing the crevasses accordingly.

In 2002 all "firn" melted, exposing the glacial ice surface and all existing crevasses. A review of the rocks-on-the-glacier photo reveals that there are other, less prominent, crevasses, marked by arcs of rocks, at the glacier's head.

If we have a low snow year this winter, fall 2015 might provide an excellent opportunity for a follow up.

In the mean time, we should traverse this area understanding that while small, crevasse risk may exist. Even seasonal snow fields on steep terrain can develop significant crevasses due to creep.

As an example of creep, those with long memories will remember there used to be a light pole in the middle of Mount Hood Meadow's "Two Bowl" run. Chris and I participated in Mt Hood Meadows's last public clean up campaign, and we asked what happened. We were told that snow creep damaged the light pole repeatedly, so it was removed.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.