Angel's Rest to Larch Summit Trail in 1920

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
aircooled

Angel's Rest to Larch Summit Trail in 1920

Post by aircooled » February 20th, 2014, 6:16 pm

A trail was built from Angel's Rest to the Summit of Larch in 1920. The first trail from Multnomah Falls was built in 1915.

I wonder what happened to it? The current 2.3 mile trail to Angel's Rest (and a bit beyond) may be all that remain.
Attachments
angelsrest2.png
Angel'sRestTrail.jpg

Peabody

Re: Angel's Rest to Larch Summit Trail in 1920

Post by Peabody » February 20th, 2014, 7:25 pm

I love the old Oregonian articles. You never know if the interviewee or the reporter that's making stuff up.

I call B.S.

"Members of the club say they will open up a spring of ice-cold water at the very summit of Larch Mountain"

Is it even possible to have a spring at the very summit of a mountain? Side, yes. Bottom, yes. Top, I don't think so.
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 20th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Peabody wrote:I love the old Oregonian articles. You never know if the interviewee or the reporter that's making stuff up.

I call B.S.

"Members of the club say they will open up a spring of ice-cold water at the very summit of Larch Mountain"

Is it even possible to have a spring at the very summit of a mountain? Side, yes. Bottom, yes. Top, I don't think so.
In a word, no! Editorial license, I guess. There are no springs anywhere near the summit of Larch. Would be nice, though! The spring I've found to be closest to a summit is on Silver Star and it is about 300 vertical feet below the summit.
Those old articles were great, though. Lots to be found there but some have to be taken with a grain of salt.

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 20th, 2014, 10:13 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
Peabody wrote:I love the old Oregonian articles. You never know if the interviewee or the reporter that's making stuff up.

I call B.S.

In a word, no! Editorial license, I guess. There are no springs anywhere near the summit of Larch. Would be nice, though! The spring I've found to be closest to a summit is on Silver Star and it is about 300 vertical feet below the summit.
There's that one near the summit of Devil's Peak, too. Also nearly 300' below?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » February 20th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Last edited by forestkeeper on February 24th, 2014, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aircooled

Post by aircooled » February 22nd, 2014, 7:04 am

I call B.S.

Not exactly, but they knew that. I did some more digging. The plan was to install a pump 500 feet from the summit and pump the water up to a campground there from a spring or stream. This clip is from July 5, 1915. Looks like it never happened since they were still talking about it in 1920.
Attachments
clip1.jpg

Peabody

Post by Peabody » February 23rd, 2014, 7:26 am

aircooled wrote:Not exactly
Ahhh. The inherent risk of calling B.S. :lol:
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

aircooled

Post by aircooled » February 23rd, 2014, 7:47 am

Peabody wrote:
aircooled wrote:Not exactly
Ahhh. The inherent risk of calling B.S. :lol:
Not at all. There's a big difference between a spring and a pump!

I spoke with the son of one of the old timers from those days yesterday and he says they would have taken water from a place called Spring Camp. It's the last water source on the trail, I believe the clearing (of sorts) where the forest road from Larch Mtn road meets the trail. He says people used to camp there at night, then summit the next morning.

Another tid bit - they used to have a phone on top of Larch Mtn, another at the Trails Club Lodge and a switchboard in Palmer. And I think one at Mult. Falls. Even after Palmer was gone, some engineer types kept the line going for a while.