The first hike up Larch Mountain

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
aircooled

The first hike up Larch Mountain

Post by aircooled » February 19th, 2014, 3:38 pm

The first "official" hike on the Larch Mountain Trail took place at the beginning of October, 1915.

This URL links to a PDF on the Oregonian story, which you can download.

http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/lccn/sn83 ... -1/seq-59/

From the National Register of Historic Places:

On January 28, 1915, Samual C. Lancaster, engineer of the Columbia River Highway, which would be completed on July 6 of that year, gave a speech and stereo-optic picture show of the beauties traversed by the new highway to the Progressive Business Men's Club of Portland.

In his presentation, he recommended that a trail be built from the base of Multnomah Falls to the top of Larch Mountain, a distance of about seven miles, where a beautiful view of the entire region including several snowcapped peaks could be afforded. The members of the club became so enthused that they immediately set to raising funds for the proposed Larch Mountain Trail.

On March 2, 1915, promoted by a parade through the Portland business district a few days before, a musical comedy, "The Whirl of the World", direct from New York, was staged at the Heilig Theater with a net gain of $500. Another money making venture put on by the Progressive Business Men's Club was a railroad excursion to the scenic points of the Columbia River Gorge. At 9 a.m. April 11, 1915, 300 people left the train station at Portland for a day of hiking, music, vaudeville acts, athletic events and free coffee. The highlights of the day included the driving of the first stake for the trail followed by a dance in the baggage car to the accompaniment of a phonograph and player piano and the first authenticated climb of Rooster Rock by T. R. Conway and R. L. McLeod. All this excitement was at a cost of $1.25 for adults, 650 for children 5 to 11, for a profit of $150.

With the money raised by these two events and that from sales of souvenir pencils, the Progressive Business Men's Club was able to donate $1,700 toward the building of the trail. Simon Benson, millionaire lumberman, Portland businessman and owner of the Benson Hotel, and his son Amos pledged $3,000 for the development of the trail. The United States Forest Service, under the direction of Thomas H. Sherrard, agreed to survey and build the trail as well as help pay for it. $1,500 was appropriated - $1,000 for the trail and $500 for a lookout on the top of Larch Mountain.

The trail was surveyed and work began in April, 1915 under the direction of R. S. Shelley of the Forest Service. There was only one small problem, Title to the land through which the trail was to pass had not been relinquished by either the Bridal Veil Lumber Company or the Crown-Willamette Paper Company. These two interests were afraid the increased number of people into the area drawn by the trail would cause an increased danger of fire.

Thomas Sherrard, however, convinced them that the trail would facilitate the fighting of fires by providing access for supplies and manpower and would thereby actually lessen timber loss due to fire. In June and July, 1915, title to the trail right-of-way was finally granted.

On October 3, 1915, after completion in September, the trail was dedicated at the lookout on top of Larch Mountain. Twenty six hikers in three groups made the 6.5 mile hike the rainy night before. At sunrise, an American flag was unfurled from the 85 foot high lookout. Those present at the ceremony decided they would form the Trails Club of Oregon, dedicated to the building and enjoyment of trails in Oregon, and elected Samuel C. Lancaster, the guiding force behind the Larch Mountain Trail - - Oregon's first "civic" trail, their president.

Peabody

Re: The first hike up Larch Mountain

Post by Peabody » February 19th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Thanks for posting. I love those old Oregonian articles. Funny, I ran across this one last night. I like how the last sentence takes a shot at the Multnomah route to the Larch summit.
2014-02-19 17_54_12-The Historical Oregonian, 1861-1987.jpg
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 20th, 2014, 10:58 am

Peabody wrote:Thanks for posting. I love those old Oregonian articles. Funny, I ran across this one last night. I like how the last sentence takes a shot at the Multnomah route to the Larch summit.
2014-02-19 17_54_12-The Historical Oregonian, 1861-1987.jpg
That's funny, I find the trail up Multnomah Creek to have more "scenic attractions". :lol:
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 20th, 2014, 11:15 am

miah66 wrote:
Peabody wrote:Thanks for posting. I love those old Oregonian articles. Funny, I ran across this one last night. I like how the last sentence takes a shot at the Multnomah route to the Larch summit.

That's funny, I find the trail up Multnomah Creek to have more "scenic attractions". :lol:
Yeah, other than Angel's Rest itself, absolutely.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

aircooled

Post by aircooled » February 20th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Well we can't let the 100th year anniversary pass unnoticed. I see a Larch Mountain night climb coming on Oct. 2, 2015. Overnight at the top (cars can bring food and tents), celebration on Oct. 3rd, 2015.

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » February 20th, 2014, 1:05 pm

Great post! It's amazing how much more engaged the Portland business community was back then in developing hiking opportunities. It's also amazing that the entire project was finished in less than a year.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

miah66

Post by miah66 » February 20th, 2014, 3:07 pm

aircooled wrote:Well we can't let the 100th year anniversary pass unnoticed. I see a Larch Mountain night climb coming on Oct. 2, 2015. Overnight at the top (cars can bring food and tents), celebration on Oct. 3rd, 2015.
Well, it's still a year and a half away, but I'm in!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » February 20th, 2014, 4:46 pm

miah66 wrote:
aircooled wrote:Well we can't let the 100th year anniversary pass unnoticed. I see a Larch Mountain night climb coming on Oct. 2, 2015. Overnight at the top (cars can bring food and tents), celebration on Oct. 3rd, 2015.
Well, it's still a year and a half away, but I'm in!
Us, too!
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown