Hand Drawn Maps Worth Drooling Over

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.

kepPNW

Re: Hand Drawn Maps Worth Drooling Over

Post by kepPNW » September 24th, 2013, 8:18 am

Amazing! Total time sink. :)

It's not just the maps that are fascinating, though. Spellings are intriguing at times, and the historical insights are captivating. As are some of the "facts." (Hershel???)

I wonder why the page numbers are all odd? (She must've done everything one-sided?)

Thanks!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 28th, 2013, 12:58 pm

kepPNW wrote: I wonder why the page numbers are all odd? (She must've done everything one-sided?)

Thanks!
Most likely because the ink would bleed through to the other side of the page making it very difficult to read.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 28th, 2013, 1:02 pm

maybe there's text on the even numbered pages?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 28th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:
kepPNW wrote: I wonder why the page numbers are all odd? (She must've done everything one-sided?)
Most likely because the ink would bleed through to the other side of the page making it very difficult to read.
Sure, but would you still number the empty (backside) pages? Fun to consider perspectives in time! :)

The thing that really intrigued me, though, was how those colorized border effects were done! I couldn't tell what was used, even. Ink was my first thought, too, but...?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...