What is this?

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
Chase

What is this?

Post by Chase » August 26th, 2013, 9:16 am

unknown oregon thingy 1.jpg

payslee

Re: What is this?

Post by payslee » August 26th, 2013, 9:45 am

Looks like a fishwheel

Peder

Post by Peder » August 26th, 2013, 11:35 am

payslee wrote:Looks like a fishwheel
The fishwheels mostly looked quite different but I'm sure that this device was also intended to catch fish!

It is a good time to remind people that you can visit remnants of old fish wheels on Ives Island in September and October when the Columbia River levels are low. See the Curious Gorge Guide by Scott Cook for details. The Cascade Fort loop just upstream is also warmly recommended!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » August 29th, 2013, 11:24 am

Good one Chase, and thanks for the shout-out Peder. Chase, I dunno what that contraption is. Those coast folks were always up to some new tricks I guess. Could it be WWII??

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » September 3rd, 2013, 9:42 pm

Chase,

Three of us senior types, with various backgrounds (1 manufacturing / mechanical, 1 electronics engineer, 1 atmospheric / oceanographer) beat this thing to death, and for the life of us, couldn't come up with anything different than anyone else had, and I don't think that anyone's gotten it right yet.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 4th, 2013, 2:55 pm

I would lean towards this being an in progress construction shot of a salmon weir...

Ultimately that 'fence' would get dropped down on an angle into the water, and the fish would run into/onto it.

They would either use them to catch the fish outright, of funnel them into a fish wheel or some other collection method