Old logging remains

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
K.Wagner

Old logging remains

Post by K.Wagner » June 7th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Hoping somebody has some background / history on the old logging remains just N of Table Mtn. The PCT cuts through the old camp at about N45 42.09 / W121 59.97. When we packed the PCT a couple of years ago, we spent the first night in the power line basin, then after just a few minutes walking, came across these remains:
PCT-1 013.jpg
Huge timbers
PCT-1 014.jpg
Old cable
This stuff has to be old enough that it came from the steam era, but where's the water? Yes there is a creek to the N, but not that big. How was sawn lumber taken out, rail? Was this site overrun by the Yacolt Burn?

If this has already been addressed (and it likely has), just point me to the dusty archives.

Thanks,
Kelly
Any place that is worth going to has no shortcut to it.

Don Nelsen

Re: Old logging remains

Post by Don Nelsen » June 7th, 2013, 8:02 pm

K.Wagner wrote:Hoping somebody has some background / history on the old logging remains just N of Table Mtn. The PCT cuts through the old camp at about N45 42.09 / W121 59.97. When we packed the PCT a couple of years ago, we spent the first night in the power line basin, then after just a few minutes walking, came across these remains:
PCT-1 013.jpg
PCT-1 014.jpg
This stuff has to be old enough that it came from the steam era, but where's the water? Yes there is a creek to the N, but not that big. How was sawn lumber taken out, rail? Was this site overrun by the Yacolt Burn?

If this has already been addressed (and it likely has), just point me to the dusty archives.

Thanks,
Kelly
Any place that is worth going to has no shortcut to it.

Yes, steam era remains and burned in the fire of 1929 that forever ended steam powered logging in the area. the RR inception was 1913.b

I have a lot of the info on this and more for that area. Some of it: There is a year-round spring a short distance away from the structure that may have been the water source. The rolling stock was brought up from the Hamilton Creek RR on an incline powered by three steam engines. The skids that they once were attached to are a few feet away from the PCT where it crosses the power line road. I will be leading a hike in the area soon. Stay tuned if interested.

Don

Pics for the area:

May 20th, '06:

RR hardware on the incline that lost it's brakes:

More hardware that crashed into a tree a thousand feet lower:

Another thousand feet down, or so, ended up in Hamilton Creek:

"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 8th, 2013, 5:37 am

Don,

Thanks for the reply! I was sure that if anyone knew, it would have to be you..

Hope it works out that I can join your hike

Kelly

Any place worth going to has no short cut to it
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » June 8th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Don,

Do you have other posts on the old logging activity in this area?

Kelly
Any place worth going to has no short cut to it.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » June 8th, 2013, 7:22 pm

K.Wagner wrote:Don,

Do you have other posts on the old logging activity in this area?

Kelly
Any place worth going to has no short cut to it.
Kelly,

Yes, but I need some time to find them. I have posted dozens of fototime.com pages with photos of the things I've found. Much of the info I've collected is from other hiker friends, maps and pics they have sent, old usgs maps on line, info found in the archives at the Skamania Co. courthouse, and just plain old bushwhacking through the area.

The adventure is in the searching and finding these things and the great companionship of my friends.

Don

After I recover from the Ruckel Ridge thing tomorrow I'll see what I can pull up and send a link.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller