1939 Mount Hood Map

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
kepPNW

Re: 1939 Mount Hood Map

Post by kepPNW » March 5th, 2013, 12:42 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Eric Peterson wrote:Karl, can you geotag this? 8-)
Cool thought! Might have to look at that! :)
Here's a KML that references the original JPG, which is kinda nice for testing things out because anyone who's read the thread has already downloaded it into their cache. And, it means an attachment less than 1Kb in size, rather than somewhere between 3-17Mb!

Maybe someone can tweak the registration to be even a bit tighter? They clearly weren't working from orthophotos when they drafted this one! :)
Attachments
MtHood1939.kml
(929 Bytes) Downloaded 303 times
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » March 6th, 2013, 8:07 am

Thanks, Karl - nice fit! :)

@mjirving: I know, and I remember the first time I stumbled across this 1962 topo:

What I would give to have wandered the Clear Branch before this section was destroyed! It was the Salmon River of the north side, to the extent that it had almost no glacial till entering the stream. Historical USFS accounts describe enormous stands of western red cedar in this valley. Must have been beautiful!

Tom :)

SonOfTamarack

Post by SonOfTamarack » April 4th, 2013, 9:59 am

Very pretty.

Odd that it has the inn up at Cooper Spur but not the Mt Hood Tavern, gas station, and "the Inn at Cooper Spur" at the junction of the cloud cap and cooper spur rd.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 4th, 2013, 10:33 am

Thanks Cheryl! Very nice job - I see a lot of things to go and check out such as some of the old Skyline Trail, some connecter trails and the old logging RR.

don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller