Online archive of historical Oregon newspapers

This is a forum for trip reports that pre-date the Portland Hikers forum, trail photos from pre-digital era, or any other discussions that focus on trail history.
vibramhead

Online archive of historical Oregon newspapers

Post by vibramhead » February 16th, 2013, 6:05 pm

I just learned about this great resource for researching Oregon history, a searchable archive of a number of old Oregon newspapers. It pulls up a full reproduction of every page containing the phrase you enter. For example, here's one search result from 1916 for Eagle Creek, about the progress of paving the Columbia Highway.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

justpeachy

Re: Online archive of historical Oregon newspapers

Post by justpeachy » February 17th, 2013, 8:46 am

That is indeed a really cool resource. I promote it whenever I can at the library where I work. The one downside to it is that there is nothing past 1922 because only stuff from before that year is out of copyright and available to put online. (It'll be 2019 before copyright law will allow 1923 stuff to be digitized.

I think most people know about the Oregonian Historical Archive at Multnomah County Library, which is the digitized and searchable microfilm of the Oregonian from 1861-1987. You could spend many happy hours searching that database!

There is also the Google News Archive. They have the Eugene Register Guard all the way back to the 1860s and the Bend Bulletin all the way back to the early 1900s.

Another great resource to know about is the Oregon Digital collection, which has ALL SORTS of random and interesting things.

Okay, I'll stop now. Don't get a librarian started about this stuff. I could go on and on and on! :D

innocentmani

Re: Online archive of historical Oregon newspapers

Post by innocentmani » July 26th, 2013, 12:57 am

Thanks for your information..